Furnace Flue

How will it defy the laws of physics?

The clip thingy is missing on mine too.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z303/starstream4627/bvent.jpg

Enough said

http://http://

Trouble is NFPA doesn’t use the term “anything”.

A chimney for residential-type or low-heat appliances shall extend at least 3 ft. above the highest point where it passes through the roof of a building and at least 2 ft. higher than any potion of a building within a horizontal distance of 10 ft.

This is not from NFPA and not a fire issue.

Then explain the “issue” please.

And yes NFPA 54 is relevant for this installation.

This code originates from the CABO.

Ye sit is to prevent backdrafting, and no nothing is perfect, but those with more knowledge than you or I have determined this to be the optimum height requirement.

You haven’t explained how the turbine vent proximity will promote backdrafting.

Just seeking clarity Bob. Not picking on you.

What is CABO?

Cabo Cabo San Lucas (BCS, Mexico)
CABO Council of American Building Officials ???
CABO Canadian Association of Basketball Officials
CABO Cisplatin, Methotrexate, Bleomycin, & Vincristine (chemotherapy regimen)
CABO Chemical Agents and Agents of Biological OriginCABOChemical And Biological Ordnance

Must be the Basketball officials , since it has to do with drafting

Comon Mike, I guess you would argue that a flue vent can hit at a reverse angle , since it will just always rise naturally right?

Bob, you made the claim that back drafting was the issue.

I’m only asking you to explain why.

Am I to believe that heated flue gas will sucked into the discharging turbine and then the attic space or that the the discharge of the turbine will be sucked into the furnace vent by some means?

Again, I am mot claiming it is a good install only that a reason is lackin to hang one’s hat on if challenged.

Personally I think it is in a gray area.

Yes it is a grey area and this is why they made the ruling.
The setup is not for certain going to cause a problem , but may cause a problem.

The turbin vent or any nearby object can create a negative pressure situation , and just because something is ok now , does not make it ok later.
Other wise ,why change your tires before they blow out.

Sorry I am not a air pressure theorist, yet knew not to stick my finger in a light socket as a kid, and that a paper bag will rise over a camp fire.

I could go back and forth looking up a hundred facts to back me up but you have not excepted any I have already provided, nor have you offered anything to back up your oppisite position.

If I except that the world is not flat , I can except this.

I have never circled the world and come back , so prove that it is not flat.
Guess I need to trust sometimes.

I’m sorry. Did I miss your link to this “ruling” ?

Still no upload link here.

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:V2wnxHe4qxUJ:www.homeinspector.org/resources/journals/Chimneys-and-Vents.pdf+why+does+b+vent+need+height+clearance&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us

I’m not finding any reference to this type of situation only clearance to combustibles.

Where is my baseball bat?

Ok here Mike. Top of page 3
As a general guideline, the CABO code requires a Type
B vent to terminate at least one foot above the roof and
not less than four feet away from any portion of the build-
ing which extends upward an an angle greater than 45
degrees from horizontal.
**The **requirements for Type L vents are similar, however
the minimum height requirement is two feet above the
As a general guideline, the CABO code requires a Type
B vent to terminate at least one foot above the roof and
not less than four feet away from any portion of the build-
ing which extends upward an an angle greater than 45
degrees from horizontal.

We just don’t see it the same way.

Perhaps others would care to offer their opinion on this.

I am suprised , since the votes must just be flipping a coin.

What about on a calm day and the turbine is not moving.

There may be negative pressure or stack affect and possibly then back drafting could occur into the turbine from the chimney.

It would be better in my opinion if the chimney and turbine were further apart.

I would call it out as a potential safety concern and would advise extending the chimney another foot or so!

Just my 2 cents!!

I agree it could have been done better but even a calm day you are asking me to believe the the attic would somehow be at negative pressure while the building is being heated from below.

I don’t see how that happens but I’m certainly willing to listen to a reasonable explanation.

Ill try this,IRC 06,pg 41-G2427.6.8.2
vent offsets—type B or L( skipping the appliance sizeing) shall extend in a generally vertical direction with offsets not exceeeding 45 degrees, except that a vent system haveing more then a 60 degree offset shall be permitted. any angle greater then 45 degrees from the verticial is considered horizontal,the total horizontal distance of a vent plus the horizontal vent connector serving draft hooded appliances shall be not greater then 75 % of the verticial height of the vent