G.F.I. tripped and still has power

There was a discussion awhile back and somehow, I believe it was Russel Hensel who said, he had never seen a G.F.I. receptacle that was tripped and still had power.
Now you have.
This was at the inspection this morning and the home was built in 2000. I just wanted to show that it does happen.

2 Likes

Live and learn…thanks Eric

Correction, it didn’t trip. :wink:

1 Like

Is that a newer model which is supposed to fail with no power?

That is the one I find also and note it on my report. New ones coming in everyday.

I pushed the test button, and it tripped. There was still power. It would not trip with the tester.

Just because the button was pushed in doesn’t mean the mechanism tripped. It’s a defective[size=2] receptacle[size=2], or improperly wired.[/size][/size]

1 Like

See that all the time.
If you test a receptical downstream it will also trip the GFCI, power will shut off but not at the GFCI.

1 Like

Nope, it wouldn’t trip he G.F.I. The only way the G.F.I. tripped was at the test button, and still the power was on at the G.F.I as well as downstream.

I come across this pretty regularly. That’s why I say the internal test button is not a definitive test, even though it is stated as being so by the manufacturers of these devices.

Always check to ensure the circuit has opened and there is no power…

1 Like

Transient voltages and surges, #1 killer of GFCI’s!

Good point William! When you get a chance come and join us at OntarioAchi.ca MB also. We could use someone like you for the Electrical section.

A second that. A GFCI test button means absolutely nothing. Lev lock means nothing and the new self test feature means nothing.

Interesting can you please tell me where I can confirm this information .
Thanks … Roy

Right here :mrgreen:

As apposed to:

Granted this is not a laboratory test, but it backs up what the OP encountered where the GFCI appears to function normally yet passes power.

Sorry no way do I see, this as evidence that would stand up in Court .
Some guy playing on Youtube is not factual and this just might cause some home inspectors to except this and facts .

Another one, this time with an actual inspector:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3r6Go3mWeU

Bunk this again is still not proof it is wired correctly .
I am not satisfied … Roy

Even if it was wired incorrectly we have 3 cases in this thread where a GFCI tests and resets without issues yet passes lethal levels of current.

I understand that UL mandated GFCI’s produced after July 2006, have a “Reverse Line/Load Miswire” feature that will render the device inop if wired backwards. The older devices will still provide power (no protection) at the device, but not downstream if tested.

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=91674

1 Like