Gas copper pipe around a door frame

Inspected the garage and found the gas pipe for the water heater coming out of the wall, following around a door frame, and then going over to the water heater. I’ve reviewed my Code Check book and don’t see anything about copper pipe runs. My concern is that it runs around a commonly used door frame. Has anyone seen anything like this and is it allowable? Thanks for the feedback!

Tony

I’m not so sure that is a gas supply pipe.

1 Like

The gas line looks like it could be easily damaged…IMHO.

You can recommend anything you want but stay away from using the word “code”. IMHO

3 Likes

Maybe a pilot light :thinking:

If @mwilles comes around he’ll straighten it all out :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

That line is usually set for smaller appliances such as a stove, fireplace, grill etc, I would think water heaters require a much larger supply line.

And I have to agree with Larry regarding exposure. Safety first, code or not…

Thanks for the info. I may defer to a qualified plumber. Here’s a photo of the line coming around the corner.

Some utilities specifically prohibit the use of copper tubing.
Refer to utility company.

2 Likes

Hey guys, looking back through my photos I realize that the line is not for the water heater, but instead, comes from a junction behind the water heater and is being used to supply a gas stove. I think this would explain why the gas stove didn’t reach a fully developed flame when ignited. I suspect the supply line is too small. Thanks for all your feedback!

2 Likes

The exposure issue should still be questioned though… :wink:

2 Likes

Is copper allowed in your area?

2 Likes

Gas Piping Specifications

Hey Robert and Simon, unfortunately the copper line disappears into the wall. The gas cooktop is on the other side and I was unable to see the connection. I suspect a direct copper line is not allowed since I’ve never seen a direct copper connection to a gas stove/cooktop.

Anthony, stick with the dangerous potential for damage, refer it out, and I think you’ll be fine.

1 Like

Thanks guys. I broke it down into two statements.

“NOTE: The gas supply to the stove was not immediate. When lighting the cooktop the flame would not fully develop for several seconds. There may be some issue with the gas supply lines, i.e., too small diameter pipe or improperly connected. Recommend evaluation by a licensed plumber.
NOTE: The supply line appears to be situated in a high traffic area that makes it susceptible to damage. Recommend evaluation by a licensed plumber.”

I believe this will cover it. Thanks Robert for the Inspectapedia link. I don’t know why I didn’t think of that along with the Code Check book. It’s been a long week.

1 Like

That is a lot of 3/8 inch copper supply exposed gas piping. You will not find anywhere in the IPC or the UPC were that length of 3/8 inch copper gas piping is allowed.

3 Likes

Bingo! This should always be the default choice if you are not 100% sure. Deflect the liability to an expert.

1 Like

No worries. No need for apologies.

Copper gas line does not appear compliant with plumbing standards and best practices. Recommend a licensed plumber evaluate and correct.