Gas fire place?

Originally Posted By: tallen
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hey ya’ll,

Does a gas fireplace require a pilot light or a starter? Or is it ok if you have to light it with a match?

![](upload://eAa2smRT3viUlMrw4vBTAEA4xND.gif)

Originally Posted By: Tim Luden

You can light it anyway you want to. Just remember to have a thermalcouple or thermocouple device to the safety valve so you don’t fill the structure with that pesky gas.

You are more than welcome!

Originally Posted By: tallen

Thanks!!

I guess I could have worded my question better. ![icon_sad.gif](upload://nMBtKsE7kuDHGvTX96IWpBt1rTb.gif)

Originally Posted By: dbroad

Make sure its gas and not propane, for propane starters are not allowed.

Originally Posted By: mlong

tallen wrote:
Hey ya'll,

Does a gas fireplace require a pilot light or a starter? Or is it ok if you have to light it with a match?

![](upload://eAa2smRT3viUlMrw4vBTAEA4xND.gif)

Even if the fireplace has a pilot, whether LP of NG, something has to light the pilot. It could be a piezo ignitor, match, electricity, etc. I'm not sure what you mean by a starter? I'm not familiar with that expression.

Mark

Originally Posted By: roconnor

tallen wrote:

It really depends on the appliance and the manufacturer. A gas fireplace has to be listed to be manually lit, per the following IRC Sections

Quote:
G2432.1 (602.1) General.
Decorative appliances for installation in approved solid fuel burning fireplaces shall be tested in accordance with ANSI Z21.60 and shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer?s installation instructions. Manually lighted natural gas decorative appliances shall be tested in accordance with ANSI Z21.84.

G2432.2 (602.2) Flame safeguard device.
Decorative appliances for installation in approved solid fuel-burning fireplaces, with the exception of those tested in accordance with ANSI Z21.84, shall utilize a direct ignition device, an ignitor or a pilot flame to ignite the fuel at the main burner, and shall be equipped with a flame safeguard device. The flame safeguard device shall automatically shut off the fuel supply to a main burner or group of burners when the means of ignition of such burners becomes inoperative.

Just my opinion and 2-nickels ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong