Actually, everything is “AHJ specific”. Codes are merely a guideline for the AHJ–they are not an enforceable law. If the AHJ wants to, he could approve clear plastic tubing though the appliance casing. But he probably would be chastized thoroughly by his superiors.
(TREC and some other jurisdictions, on the other hand, is law applying the code–but the code itself is not the law.)
We should only concern ourselves with what we believe, based on our experience and knowledge, to unsafe or hazardous. We can refer to the fact that “the code” also considers certain issues to be unsafe, supporting out opinion.
I have not read all the posts here so excuse me if I say something that has already been said. Here in Washington it is not allowed under any circumstances to have a flex line extend into the case of the hvac unit. While I have not ran into this yet I am sure there are plenty of “self installed” units out there that are done that way.
Thank yall for your insight regarding flex line into furnace housing. I enjoyed reading the forum. I do report when a flexible connector enters the furnace housing as “ a defect that should be corrected. Further Evaluation is by a qualified HVAC professional is recommended”. I do see it often and everyone questions why this is the case. I note that it is currently not best practice/code and/or manufacture instructions. If an HVAC Professional says its ok then its up to the homeowner to get a second opinion/fix it/or leave it alone. I personally wouldn’t want a flex connector in my furnace unit.
If you think a defect should be corrected, you should not say evaluate by a qualified person. Change the way you think to repair by a qualified person.
Just because you don’t like it, does not mean you put it in an inspection report.
It costs money to bring in someone else to evaluate what you don’t understand. It’s your job to hire that contractor because your getting paid for the inspection. Someday your going to get the bill, along with a court date.
You do what is in your SOP, nothing more if your not qualified to evaluate it yourself.
You recommend someone else when you turn on the HVAC and it “does not respond to operating controls”. Someone else needs to fix why it won’t start. Then they would be the best one to evaluate the system. You must request this “further evaluation”.
Because you can not do your inspection because it does not respond to the thermostat, and that you are not qualified to work on HVAC, that is when you call someone else. If you know your shit and the client would want you to comeback and inspect the system (like for air leaks, plumbing, air to all registers) then go back after it now starts and charge for it if the client consents to the add on.
Why don’t you like this install?
Because it might get damaged and leak?
Well your job in not to predict the future. If there is damage, like your afraid might happen, now is the time it becomes your job.
Just because it doesn’t happen that the inspector gets called out for the bill very often, they are liable, and if the Insurance provider does not catch it, you can loose work and see increases in your insurance. The homeowner generally gets stuck with your bill. They are likely leaving town and you will never see them again, but…?