Gas appliance connector

I know that gas appliance connectors cannot exceed 3’ in length but can two 1’ sections properly connected together be used? I saw this written up as a defect in a report but I can’t find a prohibition against it.

Absolutely not. Appliance connectors can only be connected to appliances, not to additional appliance connectors.

Thanks Jeff, does it say that on the mfgr installation instructions, fuel gas code, UPC, ?

http://www.dormont.com/dmc/uploadedFiles/res/ResourceCenter/RES_instructions.pdf

[/FONT]

Perfect Brian…that works! Thanks.

Michael or Anybody else that have gas connector questions -

Everytime I used to write up connectors spliced, inside walls, going through floors, appliance cabinets, etc I used to have agents and sellers telling me I was dumber than snot cause “Old Charlie” the plumber, HVAC contractor, appliance guru, etc told them thats the way they always do it.

I kept trying to look it up in code books, etc. Then one day my niece asked me to help her connect her new gas range. She had bought one and had the store load it in her pick-up truck to bring home. She had bought an flexible gas connector from the dealer. It came in a clear plastic bag.

Guess what - there are about 10 GRAPHICS on the outside of the bag showing how they CAN’T be installed.

My point - make it simple. Spend $6.50 and buy one. Now if I get that comment, I just get the bag out of the truck and let the seller or agent read it. Then I graciously apologise to them for their having to be exposed to some “Old Charlie” that doesn’t know squat about what he’s doing.

If I’m in a really good mood, I’ll follow that up with a comment like:

“I hope Old Charlie knows more about something else than he does about …, cause he sure doesn’t seem to know much about this.” But fortunately for you, you’ve now met ME - the real expert in issues around the house". “In the future call me if you have more questions regarding your house or its components”.

http://www.dormont.com/dmc/uploadedFiles/res/ResourceCenter/RES_instructions.pdf

Read warnings carefully before installing
To avoid personal injury (including death) or property damage, read and understand this entire
instruction sheet before installing your gas connector. Follow all instructions and safety precautions
during installation, use and maintenance. If you do not understand any of these instructions or
precautions, call a licensed plumber. Any damage to the connector or product failures that occur as
a result of improper installation or neglect to follow these instructions will void this limited
warranty.

1. To prevent corrosion, **DO NOT **allow strong cleaning solutions or chemicals
    to come in contact with the connector. These include acids, solvents, solder fluxes with zinc
    chlorides, ammonia, chlorinated chemicals, and any liquid with chlorine such as laundry
    bleach or dish detergent.

**2. **An accessible manual gas shut-off valve must be installed on the gas supply ahead of the
connector. DO NOT proceed with this installation if a shut-off valve is not installed –
call a licensed plumber for assistance.

1. **DO NOT **assemble the connector nut directly to male pipe threads.

2. **DO NOT **install the gas connector so that it is concealed within or runs through any wall,
    floor or other partition. The gas outlet must be in the same room as the appliance. This is so
    it is visible for periodic inspection.

3. The connector should be of adequate length to reach from the gas supply line to the
    appliance without stretching. NEVER join two or more connectors to make a longer
    connector.

4. NEVER reuse a gas connector. If a new appliance is purchased or an existing appliance is
    moved, a new connector must be used.

5. Only the fittings supplied with this connector or those manufactured and recommended by
    Dormont Manufacturing Company should be used.

6. Connectors are designed for occasional movement after installation. Not for use on castered
    equipment. Repeated bending, flexing or extreme vibration will cause metal fatigue and
    must be avoided.

7. This flexible gas connector is to be used on natural or LP/propane gas supply systems
    having internal pressures no higher than ½ lb. per square inch. .

8. **DO NOT **kink, twist or bend the connector smaller than 1½" internal diameter
    (approximately the diameter of a golf ball). Avoid sharp bends - no right angles.
    Warning

9. To avoid corrosion, **DO NOT **allow connector to come in contact with foreign objects such

as wall studs, electrical wiring, copper or iron pipe, paneling, sheet metal, etc.
12. **DO NOT **[FONT=Verdana]use the gas connector or gas supply line for the appliance ground.
13. This product meets national building codes and the ANSI standard for gas connectors (ANSI
Z21.24). However, local codes and regulations prevail. Contact your local municipality to
verify applicable codes.
14. Additional requirements for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
a. Installations must be performed by a qualified or licensed contractor, plumber or
gasfitter qualified by the state, province or region where this appliance is being
installed.
b. Only use gas shutoff valves approved for use within the state, province or region
where this appliance is being installed.[/FONT]

c. A flexible gas connector, when used, must not exceed 3 feet.

By the way, gas connectors are not be longer than 3’ EXCEPT that the range and dryer gas connectors can be 6’ for moving and service.

How about outside for Gas BBQs . I think they can be longer ( Mine is ) .

…Cookie

Barbeques are an exception as well. The CPC (UPC) allows up to 15 feet for outdoor appliances.

Haven’t seen the name Dormont in a long time. They’re are also the connector of choice in the commercial world (kitchen appliances). 3/4’’ - 1’’ with quick disconnects for employee mishaps. Memories of my commercial inspection days. :frowning: And no I did not inspect the electrical. :sarcasm: :smiley:

[FONT=Times New Roman]

[/FONT]
What, I should have bolded more words??? :wink:

I like that!:slight_smile:

Some of us need additional reinforcement.:mrgreen:

Sure, why not, cut me some slack I’m new to this and also very sensative this morning :mrgreen:

and even Erol overlooked yours and replied to mine so there!