Gas Fired Furnace's Electrical Question.

I cant find any info or PMI’s (Per Manufactures Instructions) Does anyone know if its ok for a gas fired furnace’s electrical supply to be “plugged” into a receptical. See pic. Thanks for your help as always.

070616-01 034.jpg

No, it’s not okay. That is a code violation, but I see that from time to time myself. Would you like a code citation on when it is okay to put a cordset on an appliance?

Yes, a code violation. Suggest that you get a copy of HVAC Code Check. It’s all in there.

Most of our furnaces are plugged in here in Tucson.

That would be great Marc. Thanks!

I have them,… I’ll go re look it up. Must have missed it the first time, Ill I saw was install PMI…

Here’s general information on when it’s okay to use flexible cords. Doesn’t mention heating units, unless the manufacturer specifically identifies them as being okay to use with flexible cords:

422.16 Flexible Cords.
(A) General. Flexible cord shall be permitted (1) for the
connection of appliances to facilitate their frequent interchange
or to prevent the transmission of noise or vibration or
(2) to facilitate the removal or disconnection of appliances that
are fastened in place, where the fastening means and mechanical
connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal
for maintenance or repair and the appliance is intended
or identified for flexible cord connection.
(B) Specific Appliances.
(1) Electrically Operated Kitchen Waste Disposers.
Electrically operated kitchen waste disposers shall be permitted
to be cord-and-plug connected with a flexible cord
identified as suitable for the purpose in the installation instructions
of the appliance manufacturer, where all of the
following conditions are met.
(1) The flexible cord shall be terminated with a grounding
type attachment plug.
Exception: A listed kitchen waste disposer distinctly
marked to identify it as protected by a system of double
insulation, or its equivalent, shall not be required to be
terminated with a grounding-type attachment plug.
(2) The length of the cord shall not be less than 450 mm
(18 in.) and not over 900 mm (36 in.).
(3) Receptacles shall be located to avoid physical damage
to the flexible cord.
(4) The receptacle shall be accessible.
(2) Built-in Dishwashers and Trash Compactors.
Built-in dishwashers and trash compactors shall be permitted
to be cord-and-plug connected with a flexible cord identified
as suitable for the purpose in the installation instructions
of the appliance manufacturer where all of the
following conditions are met.
(1) The flexible cord shall be terminated with a groundingtype
attachment plug.
Exception: A listed dishwasher or trash compactor distinctly
marked to identify it as protected by a system of
double insulation, or its equivalent, shall not be required to
be terminated with a grounding-type attachment plug.
(2) The length of the cord shall be 0.9 m to 1.2 m (3 ft to
4 ft) measured from the face of the attachment plug to
the plane of the rear of the appliance.
(3) Receptacles shall be located to avoid physical damage
to the flexible cord.
(4)* The receptacle shall be located in the space occupied*
by the appliance or adjacent thereto.
(5) The receptacle shall be accessible.
(3) Wall-Mounted Ovens and Counter-Mounted Cooking
Units.(* Wall-mounted ovens and counter-mounted cooking*
units complete with provisions for mounting and for
making electrical connections shall be permitted to be permanently
connected or, only for ease in servicing or for
installation, cord-and-plug connected.
A separable connector or a plug and receptacle combination
in the supply line to an oven or cooking unit shall be
approved for the temperature of the space in which it is
located.

--------------------------

Also, furnaces that have an electrical circuit going to them are covered under article 424, Fixed Electric Space Heating. Nothing in that article indicates that flexible cords with a plug is an acceptable wiring method.

I see them both ways cord, and hard wired, makes me no difference I’m there to determine if the furnace is performing as intended. A cord seems like a mute point very common here.

Thanks for everyones help at looking at all options. I’ve never seen one “plugged in” before. You guys are great.

So you’re saying that when a violation is common enough, it ceases to become a hazard? Poor advice.

Explain hazard please between cord and hard wire.

Just depends on what the local authority allows as they have no preference in this area:)

Much easier for the working Tech to unplug the unit than to find a remote breaker in a panel that is not marked. Been there done that.
</IMG>

Wouldn’t Manufactures PMI take precedence over local code?

yes it would if the MFG so stated but never have observed a MFG doing that just refers to electrical standards.

Not trying to quote code just making a statement as to what is allowed in my area. Take it for what it’s worth.

Cords are not rated for use as permanent wiring. If you see cords used on furnaces in your area, it has nothing to do with local preference. It has to do with codes that are not enforced. Simple as that. You certainly would write up a garage or outbuilding wired up with scraps of extension cord, wouldn’t you?

The copied code section says that it’s okay if the manufacturer approves their equipment for cord and plug connection, but you’d be hard pressed to find one who does. When you consider that any code is a compilation of very minimum safety standards, any observed installation that does not meet this very minimum is indeed a hazard. I know that home inspectors go above and beyond code many times, and can identify even compliant installations that are hazards. I think it is safe to say that something that is not compliant is automatically a hazard. If you’re looking for some report text to convey this, I’m probably not the right guy for that.

Marc we have all kinds of appliances operating on cords; window units, dryers, ranges and they all have cords rated for their amp draw. I have large fans in my barn with 3/4 HP motors that come from the factory with cords and they operate all summer long. So why are we picking out one appliance;the furnace and saying it has to be hard wired. Sorry if it has a cord I don’t write it up. I am not a code inspector and am not going there.

Yes if the cord was home made #14 gage extension cord I would write it up.
If it was an extension cord running across the garage to an garage door opener it gets wrote up. Call me hard headed if it is a #12 factory whip encased in individual rubber wrapping for the furnace I don’t write it up. That is just me. Call it poor advice or what ever makes no difference when the local city inspector approves for a new construction and I see many; who am I to call this out

Yeah, no kidding, but they came with cords. Someone didn’t field install them.

Oh, give me a break. I know there’s lots of things that manage to pass city inspections that you guys rightly call out all the time. You just choose not to tackle this one, and that’s okay with me. I just know that it’s an issue worthy of attention.

I think this is the operative statement here.

There are FAU’s that come (or came, years ago) “from the factory” with an appliance cord & plug. The picture in the original post was obviously a “hack job.” It looks to be a piece of an extension cord. It certainly isn’t a factory installed appliance cord.

[quote=Marc D. Shunk]
Yeah, no kidding, but they came with cords. Someone didn’t field install them. quote]

Every time my wife buys an appliance for the rentals she manages; the cords have to be field installed.

No I am not giving any breaks on this one you are just as hard headed as I am. I did not dispute your code quote but in this area the electricans just automatically install outlets for furnaces no matter where the furnace is garage closet, attic or where ever in new construction knowing the HVAC person is going to install a factory style whip on the furnace. If its in the furnace cabinet it belongs to HVAC outside the cabinet belongs to the electrician just the way its done here. End of story

No kidding, again, is my answer. Appliances such as dryers, ranges, and disposals are intended and identified by the manufacturer for field installation of cords. This is permitted in the very short copied code section which I pasted, in the section which I highlighted and underlined. A short section you apparently didn’t take time to read because it would be too much fun for you to argue about. Try to rationalize cords on warm air furnaces all you want, but it’s still an improper installation in the end. As you roam around the country, there are certain violations peculiar to a particular geographic area that are accepted as proper. I guess this is one of them in your area. Sorry to learn that.

From the photo supplied in the original post, I see NO ‘cords’ attaching the heating applinace to a receptacle…Does ANYONE?

I see the electrical supply being hardwired to the unit and a single receptacle without a cover having no ‘plug’ attached to it whatsoever.

Are my eyes going THAT bad???