Gas Log Flue venting height.

code shmode. the code was writen because a safety issue is pressent if it’s out of code. safety is above code to me, and i could care less if the house was built by Fred Flintstone himself, i’d call it out for potential exhaust fume entering the living space… let them do with it what they will.

Hi Guys,

I’ve been corresponding with the agent on this one point because the installer said that it was okay to install it this way. He faxed her and she in turn faxed me a diagram of the pipe coming out of the roof 24" from the side wall and extending up 3’ . The diagram also shows a 2’ overhang on the sidewall. He said that this is allowed. Now I’m confused. I’m looking at the gas appliance venting in the IRC codebook and I think we all agree that the install is wrong but he is providing manufacturers documentation that it is a correct install. Any Thoughts.

Louis Agudo
Home Sweet Home Inspection Services

If there is a manufacturers documentation depicting that this installation is correct, then let it be. My report would not change in any way whatsoever.

Just inform your client, that if there are problems in the future (with this install), they now know who to contact. Make sure they obtain this documentation at or before closing for their records.

I’m still trying to figure out how a manufacturers installation procedure can supersede National code.

David ,
I agree, I’m not going to change my report but I will let hem know who to contact in the future if they have any problems.
Thanks
Louis

I do.
There’s a certain marketing WOW factor that one accomplishes with images and pictures that one cannot accomplish with mere text. The world moves on.

Video/DVD inspection reports are next.

RRay,

Are suggesting that I should have put the diagram from my code book on gas appliance vent terminations next to the picture of the defect, give my text explanation and let them decide. Sounds like a good idea.

Louis Agudo

Louis,

I would not put any code referrence in any report. If you do, you are opening yourself to a liability issue–if the buyer finds something else later, that a contractor might say is a code issue, and they referrence your report to see that it’s the same code you referrenced, they will try to hold your inspection performance to that code standard…i.e., you will be expected to have used the same code throughout the entire inspection.

I simply state that: a flue should extend a minimum of 24" about anything within a 10’ radius, or 36" above the main roof line. This is due to the dispersion of smoke, fumes, and harmful gases, and allows for proper venting without backdrafting issues.
When they see it from a safety aspect (carbon monoxide), they aren’t concerned with code or grandfather rights, etc. Whoever says it’s OK after they read your report, assumes the liability–that’s what we like:)

When I use diagrams, I call them “illustrations” and make sure there is nothing there except the diagram, for example, no text from any code book or anything.

The most useful book I’ve found for the quality and usefulness of its illustrations is “The Illustrated Home.” It comes on CD, as well, and they encourage you to use the illustrations.

The illustration I use most frequently is one of a chimney cricket. The first time I mentioned chimney crickets, the Client called the pest control professional complaining about crickets. Ever since then, a picture of the offending chimney and an illustration of a chimney with a cricket.

Ditto.

Great advice, INMHSMOAIHEHAMY.

Louis can you post the diagram? Can you tell us who the manufacturer is?

gazoontite.:mrgreen:

Hi Brian,
The manufacturer is Heat-N- Glo. I’m stiil trying to figure out how to cut and paste from the PDF document so I can post the diagram. The diagram shows the exhaust pipe coming out of a roof >24" from the sidewall and extending up to >24" to a soffit above.

Louis,

Post the .PDF link and tell us which page it’s on.

Louis, is this a direct vent gas unit with sealed Glass panel on the front?

David Matthews

David ,

Heat-N-Glo is the manufacturer. I do not know if the glass panel was sealed but it does say that it is a direct vent. If I could figure out how to get the pdf. file on the manufacturers instructions to post , I would. I am not to computer saavy as of yet.

Louis Agudo

http://www.heatnglo.com/

Is it here Louis?