Gas log stove

Can the legs of a gas log stove sit on combustible materials, ie: a plywood hearth?

Scott

IMG_1852.JPG

Around here the answer would be yes, depending on the manufacturer’s requirements.

In most cases, yes, but I would check the specific manufacturer’s specs. In some cases, it’s OK to sit on , say, a wood or vinyl floor, but not carpet.

I don’t see this as a major problem, but I would still recommend replacing plywood with a non-combustible material.

By the way, who (in their right mind) would enjoy the aesthetics of plywood in their living room?

By the way, who (in their right mind) would enjoy the aesthetics of plywood in their living room?
[/quote]

Someone who has a 60 year old 700sf house. (cottage)

Scott

That’s hillbilly material…

That is new flooring on the market. It’s called Polish Laminate. It comes in bigger pieces for easier installation.

:mrgreen:

Personally I think this is a stupid use of materials. I think stone would be appropriate … But it could be acceptable. Have to check here… YET no one has mentioned that the wood plywood piece ( to the left in the picture) looks as if it is pressure treated (old style maybe ) Nothing like having family play next the the warm fire place on top of arsenic treated wood!:o

I agree with Patrick . All that heats up and the fire will dry out the wood faster. Pressure treated is not designed to rit exposed in an area that will dry out and start splintering . HMMM nice warm fire … walking around in your socks… kids running around …next thing you have a treated wood splinter in your foot . OUCH!