Gas Piping

Originally Posted By: rchoreyii
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/DSCN0012.JPG ]

Ron Chorey

LAS CRUCES Home Inspections

rchorey@comcast.net

rchoreyii@nm.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: jpope

Yep. See it all the time. Especially on roof top units and near the beach cities. All of that plumbers putty (pipe dope) is enough for me to recommend replacement

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

jpope wrote:
All of that plumbers putty (pipe dope) is enough for me to recommend replacement

Why?

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

It’s an indication that there have been previous leaks. The excessive rust and the temporary patches warrant replacement of the exposed sections.

Jeff Pope

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: rcallis

Ronald

I agree the black iron pipe needs attention but it is in code. I'd suggest it be brushed and coated with a protectant. I don't see a sediment trap (drip leg) in the photo, there should be one.

FYI, galvanized pipe is allowed in most areas nowadays. Older galvanized pipe would flake and could cause a gas valve to stick or not close.

Reggie

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Jeff,

Using pipe dope is standard practice at least here away on new installs. Only the pipe dope in the threads does any good. Excess out side of the actual thread is just sloppy waste. If there was a leak, slapping on more to the exterior of the joint might hold for a couple of minuites but thats all. ~14 psi will push its way though a glob of freash dope.

I agree that there is a concern about excessive rust (excessive in depth, not excessive in coverage). Surface rust on black pipe is to be expected and itself is a resistant barrier to deeper rust. Deeper rust is another story. As you pointed out ("especially on roof top units and near the beach cities") , moisture with a high salt content will continue dig its way deeper into the wall of the pipe.

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

phinsperger wrote:
Using pipe dope is standard practice at least here away on new installs. Only the pipe dope in the threads does any good.

Quite true.

phinsperger wrote:
If there was a leak, slapping on more to the exterior of the joint might hold for a couple of minuites but thats all. ~14 psi will push its way though a glob of freash dope.

My point exactly.

phinsperger wrote:
I agree that there is a concern about excessive rust (excessive in depth, not excessive in coverage).

![](upload://k5zIRNk3ubozYpE7Zhe4EfaX86b.jpeg)

This appears excessive to me. The pipe dope tells me that someone is trying to patch a leak.

--
Jeff Pope
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738