Gas regulators

Is there a rule that states where they have to be in relation to the appliance, or must they just be present. Seems like I’ve always seen one at the furnace…until I noticed this one yesterday. The regulator was in the crawl (furnace in the attic).

031309 233.JPG

Don’t have regulators on any furnaces here regulators here are on the gas meter and or propane tank you have me totally lost??? explain please

Here’s one at a gas water heater.

031109 221.JPG

Strange to me your gas provider must operate at much higher pressure than we do the only time I see a regulator at the appliance is on a cook stove built in by the MFG Perhaps your gas company is getting a kick back from the MFG of the regulators;-):wink:

Is that Natural Gas?

I never see regulators at appliances in residential applications around here either.

Yes, natural gas. And like I said, it’s very uncommon not to see one at each appliance here.

Every appliance MFG requires X inches water column of gas pressure for their appliance to operate makes sense to me for the regulator to be at the appliance for ease of adjusting pressure if for no other reason. Still strange though

Not strange here.

2 p.s.i. gas often runs to a master regulator to provide 11" water column but often I see a regulator at each appliance.

Both methods are used around here.

Ok probably (bad practice though), as long as you are sure the one in the crawl was for the furnace and not the fireplace or stove.

On really large homes with multiple gas units (2 water heaters, 2 fireplaces, cooktop, 2 furnaces) I find undersized gas lines and undersized regulators very often.

You did catch that flex appliance line going into the furnace cabinet?

I don’t think I saw a dirt leg either.

In my area drip legs are not allowed in attics or the exterior where any possibilities of freezing exists

Bruce, you bring up a good point. I didn’t count the regulators and make sure that each appliance had one. I think I’ll refer it out.

Yes, I caught the appliance connector going into the cabinet. Regarding the drip leg, I no longer say anything about them because the local utilities here don’t care about it on residential construction.

Doesn’t the gas valve in the appliance deliver the required regulation for the appliance?

Of course it does. Your point?

It’s a question!

Explain the regulation of pressures. Do they have a higher secondary pressure for better distribution that requires further control before the valve?

I have never worked in an area where this was required in residential application. I can’t go out and figure it out. Do you mind my question?

Oh ****, is this outside my SOP? I think it may be! Well lookie here, I don’t need to know this crap! Never mind.

No I don’t mind your “honest” question. Was it an honest question?

Here we use propane due to the cold. I’ve never even heard of anyone installing a regulator inside!! If they fail you may get blow by out the vent hole, which must be installed down to prevent water freezing inside the housing. I’ve also seen them drip when the overfill protection on small bottles fails and they are overfilled. Not something for indoor areas for sure.

I would think the gas appliances should only get a certain pressure input range.

The extra regulator provides a good steady pressure within that range and also serves as a safety backup item.

On my first home, the propane gas man came out to do something and said he would also replace the 10 yr old regulator on my main gas line because it “was likely bad by now”.

Bruce, you have hit on the nub of the issue.

Gas pressure regulators are designed for a specific range of pressures on both the inlet and outlet side as well as their ability to throughput enough cubic feet of gas to meet BTU requirements for downstream connected appliances.

I have never seen a regulator like that. What about copper supply line with compression fittings?