Gas water heater in bedroom closet

What are the rules for gas WH in bedroom closet? Code requirements please.

G2406.2 (303.3) Prohibited locations.
Appliances shall not be located in, or obtain combustion air from, any of the following rooms or spaces:

1. Sleeping rooms.
  2. Bathrooms.
  3. Toilet rooms.
  4. Storage closets.
    Exceptions:
  5. Direct-vent appliances that obtain all combustion air directly from the outdoors.
  6. Vented room heaters, wall furnaces, vented decorative appliances and decorative appliances for installation in vented solid fuel-burning fireplaces, provided that the room meets the required volume criteria of Section G2407.5.
  7. A single wall-mounted unvented room heater equipped with an oxygen depletion safety shutoff system and installed in a bathroom, provided that the input rating does not exceed 6,000 Btu/h (1.76kW) and the bathroom meets the required volume criteria of Section G2407.5.
  8. A single wall-mounted unvented room heater equipped with an oxygen depletion safety shutoff system and installed in a bedroom, provided that the input rating does not exceed 10,000 Btu/h (2.93 kW) and the bedroom meets the required volume criteria of Section G2407.5.
  9. Appliances installed in an enclosure in which all combustion air is taken from the outdoors, in accordance with Section G2407.6. Access to such enclosure shall be through a solid weather-stripped door, equipped with an approved self-closing device.

I never worried it about it much. I just tell the buyer, everbody needs a good nap every once in awhile.:slight_smile:

Not a good choice but if the door is sealed and gets makeup air from outside there is no issue.
Also make sure there is a drain pan and C/O detector.

James I am ashame of you.
It sures shows how much we as CMIs do not care about codes.
I don’t care if the code said you could sleep with the Hot Water Tank. You will never convince me it is safe even if it is direct vent.
And you are right every one does need a gooooooooooooooooooooooooood sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep sometime.:eek:

Guess you never lived anyplace with space heaters.Why scare people based on unwarranted fears.

Not necessarily true. If the door is sealed and it gets combustion air from the outside…there is more to inspect and report on. It may, in fact, be a very deadly issue.

Sure if not done correctly with the right amount of openings and lack of a good C/O detector.

People can die if it is in another room also remember.
Remember I am in Chicago and many people live in one room studios however every year there are a few cases when you read about people that get sick or die from C/O and you know what.
Almost all the time the furnace is down in the basement.

I was an installer of space heaters before becoming an Inspector.
Also was a Oil burnerTech,Oil tank installer,Hot water tanks,Fireplace, chimneys, Wood stoves and HRV.
I have had some training in Gas inspection and certificate. I have installed appliances but have no GAS Ticket.:o

OK so I can assume that you refused to install space heaters out of concern for you customers right?:wink:
As for me I need no gas ticket and create plenty.

I had a brand new home to inspect yesterday… it was a sealed hallway closet and NO high or low vents… at all for the gas furnace. That was a first… I have found several clogged with insulation etc… but never without any vents at all. My only thought was someone had confused requirements with electric.

[FONT=Times New Roman][size=2][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2][size=3]
IRC 2009

M2005.2 Prohibited locations. [/size][/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman]Fuel-fired water heaters shall
not be installed in a room used as a storage closet. Water heaters
located in a bedroom or bathroom shall be installed in a sealed
enclosure so that [/FONT][/FONT]*[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman]combustion *[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman]airwill not be taken from the living
space. Installation of direct-vent water heaters within an enclosure
is not required.
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial][size=1][FONT=Arial][size=1]
[/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]

The newer high efficiency units get all their combustion air from the outside via the plastic PCV vents, no need for combustion air vents in the closet. Direct vent principle

I hear ya there Chuck, more stuff to look for these days.

This one was B Vent… basic induced style. Was a bank owned where the builder had started in 06/07 and the bank “finished it up”

The type I’ve seen that you’re mentioning have 2 PVC vents, are you indicating that you’ve seen a single vent/intake pipe on a closet furnace, similar to a Direct Vent furnace on a wall installation? Would be a fairly large vent if I were to “matrix” the size vents I’ve seen on even a 25K DV type.

Did one a couple weeks ago with PVC and a rubber connection that had loosened of at the induced forced fan. This is common because when installed the clamp is tightened and then becomes loose if not tighten correctly. Most people don’t understand where to install the CO detection and think about fire alarm installation being the best location. Not so, “this is what can kill you”.
Gas and carbons act on pressure they are heavier than air and they seek out areas to hide in a basement never setting of detection until it is too late.:frowning:

Did one a couple weeks ago with PVC and a rubber connection that had loosened off at the induced forced fan. This is common because when installed the clamp is tightened and then becomes loose if not tighten correctly. Most people don’t understand where to install the CO detection and think about fire alarm installation being the best location. Not so, “this is what can kill you”.
Gas and carbons act on pressure they are heavier than air and they seek out areas to hide in a basement never setting off detection until it is too late.:sad:
MY BAD