GFCI exemption in garage

Is there an exemption for a GFCI in a garage when the intended use of a single receptacle outlet is for a refrigerator or freezer? At the time of inspection no appliances were present so I called two outlets out as needing correction, but the sellers electrician said it wasn’t necessary since they were dedicated outlets for a refrigerator and a freezer (as if he knew how the buyers intended to use them). The house was built in 2013.

The exemption from GFCI protection for receptacles that served appliances in areas that require GFCI protection was removed in the 2008 NEC. Here in NJ a statewide amendment has retained those exemptions that existed prior to the 2008 NEC.

3 Likes

Of course he did. He is probably the one who installed the receptacles.

1 Like

Yes the exception is that it is a single outlet and labeled as non-GFCI protection.

Thank you for the NEC reference Robert.

Agreed!! :+1:

After finding out he declined to repair what the sellers agreed to, at a minimum I would have expected him to label as such, but no. Do you have an NEC reference?

I believe the word is “dedicated”.

2020 NFPA NEC 210.8(A) Dwelling Units. All 125-volt through 250-volt receptacles installed in the locations specified in
210.8(A)(1) through (A)(11) and supplied by single-phase branch circuits rated 150 volts or less to
ground shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

(5) Basements
Exception to (5): A receptacle supplying only a permanently installed fire alarm or burglar alarm system shall not be required to have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection.
Exception to (1) through (3), (5) through (8), and (10): Listed locking support and mounting receptacles utilized in combination with compatible attachment fittings installed for the purpose of serving a ceiling luminaire or ceiling fan shall not be required to be ground-fault circuit-interrupter protected. If a general-purpose convenience receptacle is integral to the ceiling luminaire or ceiling fan, GFCI protection shall be provided.

Where in the NEC is the labeling requirement? We’re still on the 2017 is that in the 2020?

I dunno about NEC, but I think it’s required here in Oregon.

I don’t remember a requirement for it to be labeled Robert.

I didn’t either so I thought that maybe it was in the 2020 and I don’t have the book in front of me at the moment to check.

How I report them (I’m in Southern Utah); “Be aware that there is at least one receptacle located in the garage that is not GFCI protected. This is sometimes allowed by local jurisdictions, and is intended for a dedicated circuit to operate appliances such as Freezers, Refrigerators, Central Vacuum, etc. You want to consider having a qualified and licensed electrician provide/install GFCI protection for added safety. An advisory for your consideration.”

I find them quite often. Some of the newer ones are the single outlet type but homes 20 or so years old will normally have the standard duplex type…And for the record, I have never seen one labeled as “Dedicated” or “Not GFCI protected” in the past 11+ years of inspecting here.

1 Like

The NEC didn’t require a dedicated circuit, just a dedicated space for the appliance.

On page 3 & 12

210.8 & 547.5

“ GFCI protection shall not be required for a single receptacle supplying a dedicated load and marked “not GFCI protected”.

2 Likes