Appliances connected to GFCI

Both of these situations are a first for me (haven’t seen this in 9 years).
The propane gas stove in the kitchen is wired to (connected to) the GFCI electrical receptacles in the kitchen.
The garage door opener (in the same house) is wired to (connected to) the GFCI electrical receptacles in the garage.
If these GFCI’s trip, no cooking and no automated garage door opener.
Has anyone seen either of these conditions before.
I noted both in the report, but of course this is a bank owned property (which was actually in very good condition).
By the way the dishwasher was wired to a wall switch; if switch is off no power to the dishwasher.

Everything that you’ve described is NEC compliant.

As long as GFCI can be located easily.

The switch for the DW is there to serve as a service disconnect in case someone is working on the unit. The NEC requires a means of disconnect and this is one option.

Under the latest NEC all receptacles in the garage need GFI protection including the ceiling mounted one.

The small appliance circuits are allowed to service the receptacle for a gas stove.

Yes but the reset should not be on the ceiling only the outlet, according to common sense. I have seen GFCI protection at the source for garage door openers on the 12 foot high garage ceiling.

That is no longer permitted under the 2011 NEC since they need to be readily accessible for testing purposes.

Nice to here that change in the NEC.
Also the application of GFCI is not needed on freezer or fridge,
another common sense area.

If it is in the garage or basement they are required to be GFCI protected and this is a good common sense move.

Stand by for ( unless things change ) there could be many changes to the Ontario electric Code example a Car charging unit in all Garages two car garage two charging units .
Now this I think is not a good idea if only 10% of the cars went electric we will have huge problems .
Not enough power to run the system .

Kevin, I see you are under the CEC, but the NEC has removed the exemptions for GFI protection for appliances in garages.

Remember whether it is removed or not we only are concerned about what is in place at the time of the Home we are inspecting. Thus the common sense comment applies.
Look at comment #4

Kevin, the way I took your comment was it is good to see that the GFI protection is not required as if there was an issue with having the GFI protection.

A properly operating appliance should not be tripping a GFI, whether it is required or not.

Very true and you are right. Problem is it can be shut off by anyone and then your Freezer goes off or Fridge. Even if there is a problem with the GFCI there is no guarantee that people will now it is supplying power to the Freezer or Fridge or that it has tripped.
Even a HI can trip the GFCI and be responsible for all the freezer meat. If it is required for Freezers or the Fridge I would question this with AHJ.

Has there been anyone killed by Freezer?
Has there been any fires by Freezer or fridge not on GFCI?
What is the statistics for those that have lost food because of GFCI plugged into Freezer or Fridge.
They should also have small warning beeps installed when not functioning properly just like a smoke detectors.

The codes are not about the safety of a freezer of meat or a fridge worth of leftovers. It is about life safety. I don’t know the statistics about the fires, shocks etc.

There are GFIs with power loss alarms built-in.

Sweet can you give us the link on that!
Yes I now this has been debated for some time and it would be easier for people to accept if they could install one with a power loss alarm.
Thanks for the info.

Based on your post following this one you are doing your inspections with personal bias instead of common sense.
If you were doing an inspection with a receptacle at a swimming pool that was not GFCI protected would you call it out? There is no difference. If the appliance has a fault the danger is the same.

I could care less about the frozen meat or anything else, I care about my clients safety and the GFCI in a garage or basement is a safety issue. These are not conditioned spaces and both have problems with moisture therefore the requirement for GFCI protection.

Should the receptacle be changed IT MJUST BE REPLACED WITH A GFCI DEVICE.

Look for the Audible Alarm window in this link. The part number is 1595 TRA*.

Thanks Jim:
I will start recommending this for areas of Freezers and fridges in garages and areas not seldom checked like sump pump ect.

Kevin
Correct me if I’m wrong, but that table is for the USA right? We have no requirement for GFI’s in garages in the great white north.