GFCI outlet trip time

First time I ran into this measurement. GFCI tipped in 0042 mS @ 31.7 mA. The 31.7 mA has me worried.
Your thoughts.

I don’t perform quantitative testing of GFCI’s, and I wouldn’t state with any certainty if that’s a device problem or if your tester had a hiccup. Maybe that tester sends a unique current flow that bamboozles certain GFCI’s.

If the device’s built-in test button caused a trip, without issue, then it’s performing as intended for my purposes.

If you feel it’s a problem, write it up.

4 Likes

Evening, Dom.
I preform quantitative testing with several pieces of equipment.
As for the EXTECH CT70, the GFCI tripped as well as tripped with the test button.

Although tripping current is the GFCI’s objective, the high mA even at a short 0042 mS interval may affect someone with a pace maker, to which I will look into, or startle someone or worse. Here is what I read.
Usually, it takes about 30 mA of current to cause respiratory paralysis.

Thanks for your input.
Keep well.

Was there any voltage drop to speak of?

2 Likes

Evening, David. Hope this post finds you well.
On that circuit, the bathroom lighting circuit, which was not dedicated, 3.8% @ 12 Amp, 118.1 VL.
Any help would be appreciated.
Sorry for the edit.

Was this a GCI receptacle that you were testing? I know that you’re seeking the knowledge as to why this happened at well above the 4-6 ma threshold but the fact that it tripped via the test button is all that matters.

5 Likes

Over what period of time? If it tripped with the ‘TEST’ button it is fine. If you are using any other test method you are BSing your clients pretending to have knowledge you do not have.

4 Likes

Yes.
I concur.

Lol. You have to love your cheep attitude to equipment testing. Still using granny’s wood yard stick to measure? You still purchase your clothes at the Salvation Army?

As for pretending, look deep into the mirror. Lol.

This is why your WAFI. You think you know more than you do. Extech is hardly top of the line equipment. Where’s your Sure Test? You could at least check it with a Fluke DMM. You have junk.
Dots

In my tool box.
Sure Test had issues.
Grow up Robert. You do a disservice to the association otherwise.

6 Likes

Who the F do think you are? You’re the one that came out swingin’ after a little constructive criticism. WAFI

Your quote… “Over what period of time?”
You can read can’t you? The image is very clear.

“This is why your WAFI. You think you know more than you do. Extech is hardly top of the line equipment. Where’s your Sure Test?”
“If you are using any other test method you are BSing your clients pretending to have knowledge you do not have.”

Constructive criticism? Robert your true colors SHINE through every time you post. You are a very, VERY small man.

1 Like

I am bigger than you will ever be! . . and more accomplished! . . . and better looking!
Boxing

4 Likes

Looks like you are testing under EPD (equipment protected device) according to your picture. I’m not very familiar with your test device but your results may be due to testing under the EPD. EPD has a higher 30mA trip than the 6mA GFCI.

1 Like

Don’t overthink it. Just use the test button on the GFCI and move on.

7 Likes

I believe that you’re correct. Circuit breakers that provide GFPE (Ground Fault Protection of Equipment typically heat trace cables) have a 30 ma trip rating.

1 Like

I will look into that Adam. Thanks you for your informative post.

You worry too much. You also put too much faith in those digital testers.

3 Likes