Goodman Heat Pump or AC?

Heat Pump or AC?

Goodman
Model # CPLJ36-1A
Serial # 0405031025

That Model should be a heat Pump

Thanks…

What are the rules of thumb to figure out whether it’s heat pump or furnace? Assume could not the model number on Google.

Th Dad
some makes have a H in the model Number, Best thing is to look for the switching Valve when checking out the unit.

Here is a drawing that may help

Heatpump2.jpg

Heatpump2.jpg

Heatpump2.jpg

I generally look for a reversing valve and an accumulator.

Yes Blaine, but you, unlike many of the new Florida “professional” home inspectors, know what a reversing valve and an accumulator looks like and its purpose. Most wouldn’t know an accumulator from a flux gate capacitor. :wink:

I just use my tricorder

Here’s a great Goodman Service Manual to help decipher identification(s) and lot’s of other info.

And a lot more.

The data plate says “central cooling air conditioner” in the bottom left. It’s not a heat pump. If it was, it would say “heat pump”.

In no particular order:

1. A heat pump should have a thermostat with an “Emergency Heat” and/or “Auxiliary Heat” mode. Although, sometimes (rarely) the installer will put it on a conventional thermostat.
  2. If it’s in heat mode, the outdoor unit will be running.
  3. There will be a reversing valve inside the outdoor unit.
  4. The air handler will be totally electric (no gas lines or exhaust flues).

Joe the air handler does not have to be electric I have a gas fired furnace with a heat pump condensing unit on the exterior of my home refered to as a duel fuel

Yep. Dual fuel systems. Thanks for the correction.

Your welcome