Ground rod clamp

This ground rod clamp does not look right to me. It looks like the lower portion is backwards. What do you guys think?

HPIM4836.jpga.jpg

Actually, it’s the upper clamp that’s backwards. You flip it the way the topmost clamp is for pipes over a certain diameter, and you flip the way the bottom clamp is for rods and rebar. That top clamp doesn’t look like it bottomed out, so it’s probably tight and okay anyhow.

This has two ground rods. The other one the screw was not fastened and both of them are loose. Thanks for the info about the clamps. Ken

Is that in conduit? Is there a reason for that?

Yes, to fulfill a code requirement. The code says that #4 copper is the smallest you can run when subject to physical damage. If the installer runs #6 in a place like that (all the bigger you’re required to a rod), he needs to add some form of mechanical protection. In this case, he chose EMT. Note the use of a special ground rod clamp to receive the EMT connector, which also fulfills a code requirement that any metallic conduit used to protect a grounded electrode by “shorted” to the ground wire at each end. This trick connector meets that requirement at the rod end.

I just run #4 and forget about all that conduit mess.

Thanks Marc. I appreciate the lesson. :smiley:

Unless that rod is longer than 8 foot it does not satisfy the reuirement for 8 foot to be in direct contact with the earth. This would reuire the top to be driven flush or below the surface if an 8 foot rod is used.

You’re right, but while this is a technical code requirement, most people are smart enough to know that if it’s 7’ 10" or 8’ in the ground, functionally it’s probably just about the same. I’d sure never get into a pissing match over a few inches of rod.

With new construction in my area, many electricians throw the ground rod into the footing trench prior to foundation backfill. I never get to see tha actual mechanical bond or ground rod.

(B) Securing and Protection Against Physical Damage.
Where exposed, a grounding electrode conductor or its enclosure
shall be securely fastened to the surface on which it is
carried. A 4 AWG or larger copper or aluminum grounding
electrode conductor shall be protected where exposed to
physical damage. A 6 AWG grounding electrode conductor
that is free from exposure to physical damage shall be permitted
to be run along the surface of the building construction
without metal covering or protection where it is securely fastened
to the construction; otherwise, it shall be in rigid metal
conduit, intermediate metal conduit, rigid nonmetallic conduit,
electrical metallic tubing, or cable armor. Grounding electrode
conductors smaller than 6 AWG shall be in rigid metal conduit,
intermediate metal conduit, rigid nonmetallic conduit,
electrical metallic tubing, or cable armor.

Note: Is that AL coming out of that conduit? and that clamp is not designed to be installed the way the lower clamp is actually installed. I am not talking about the attachment to the Rod…marc is 100% correct but I dont think the connection from the end of conduit clamp to the clamp itself is actually designed to be done that way…but I could be wrong as I have never used one that way.

No Comment !