Ground?

Originally Posted By: hgordon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi…recently did a inspection where 2 a/c svc disconnects were side by side and I realized one had a ground and the other did not…here is my question:

Does the green coming from the A/c have to be grounded in the Svc Disc box?

Actually, you will notice that the one that did have a ground from the A/C to the Svc disc box..the Svc Disc ground bar was not grounded...anyway...whats the verdict?

Without Ground:
![](upload://aDmTLgA3ZIcUVoJiyt54HgtQkVv.jpeg)

With Ground..well kinda ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: tallen

I would answer you Harvey ,but I am on probation icon_redface.gif

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: hgordon

What? By who?

Originally Posted By: tallen

I posted incorrect info about a bonding question icon_redface.gif I have put myself on double secret probation. icon_redface.gif

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Harvey:

The ECG should be available for any circuit, if it is actually required.

This would require some detailed explanation and would involve a lengthy code discussion.

I do see another defect where the thermostat wires are in the same enclosure with the AC disconnects.

That is not a permitted method and is also a defect requiring detailed code discussions.

Recommend the services of a qualified person to further evaluate the system.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

I agree with Joe T as to the thermostat wired. High and low tension cannot shate the same enclosure unless in an approved box with a physical separation.]

Joe T... Without getting into a lengthy code discussion, advise us as to what is required, and using the common sense approach, WHY you want to see it that way.

Help us understand what to flag, and WHY.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

The low voltage thermostat wires are not permitted to be run in the same cable or conduit because they do not have sufficient construction specifications to permit them to be installed with electric light, power conductors and any failure of the cable insulation due to a fault could lead to hazardous voltages being imposed on the thermostat circuit conductors.

The use of the same insulation for circuits up to 600 volts for both AC and DC is acceptable when run in the same cable or conduit, but not for this application.

It is better to see that thermostat wiring run in a separate cable or conduit, or wrapped around the cable or conduit that will supply the unit.

Please be aware that the subject of high and low potential is now referred to as Low and High voltage, with high voltage beginning at 601 volts and above.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: roconnor

hgordon wrote:
Does the green coming from the A/c have to be grounded in the Svc Disc box?

Those AC units should have a green bond/ground wire connected to a lug inside the unit and run back to the panel, with a connection to the metal box also. One doesn't even have a bond/ground wire from the AC unit, and the other has one apparently connected to nothing. That entire install should be flagged and checked out.

Potentially dangerous situation. If a hot wire faults to the metal AC enclosure without being bonded, the enclosure would become energized without tripping a breaker.

Also JT and JF are right that the low voltage stat wires should be separate from the nominal/line voltage wires. They are usually run with the liquid/suction linesets for that reason.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Read Harvey’s post again.

Then notice that the only 'two' conductors entering the box are "ungrounded".

Mike P.