grounding conductor

Originally Posted By: bgraham
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Jeff, Joe - HELP

I come across a lot of panels that are 20ft to 60ft from the meter base,
the service is grounded at the meter but no grounding conductor is brought over to the service panel is this ok are should there be a ground at the service panel? ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)

Originally Posted By: bbadger

Bruce I assume when you say grounded you are talking about the connection to the grounding electrodes, water pipe, ground rod etc.?

If so then the answer to your question is that it is acceptable.

Quote:
250.24 Grounding Service-Supplied Alternating-Current Systems.

(A) System Grounding Connections.

(1) General.
The connection shall be made at any accessible point from the load end of the service drop or service lateral to and including the terminal or bus to which the grounded service conductor is connected at the service disconnecting means.

Bob

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

Originally Posted By: jpope

Quote:
2002 NEC VI. Service Equipment ? Disconnecting Means

230.70 General. Means shall be provided to disconnect all conductors in a building or other structure from the service-entrance conductors.

(A) Location. The service disconnecting means shall be installed in accordance with 230.70(A)(1), (2), and (3).

(1) Readily Accessible Location. The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.

Maybe Bob or Greg can give us their interpretation as to what is acceptable.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: bbadger

Well that would be tough as the NEC does not state how many feet are acceptable. icon_lol.gif

In my area we are limited to about 5' of service conductors inside the building.

That said it is not that hard to be compliant.

Quote:
I come across a lot of panels that are 20ft to 60ft from the meter base,

1)There could be a service disconnect at the meter which would also mean that the GEC would have to go there.

OR

2)The service conductors run as far as you want outside the building and only travel inside the building a short distance.

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

Originally Posted By: bgraham

thanks guys, and yes bob I do mean grounding rod at the meter. when I was in Ky the local was max 10’ but the grounding conductor was always there. I just would have thought that they would want to see the ground in the panel. and forget the water lines all I see down here is plastic. damn i miss copper. icon_biggrin.gif

PS
Jeff, congrats on breaking 3000 post. keep up the good work