Grounding form service panel

There was no visible grounding wire leading to a driven rod. I was not able to see the ground anywhere else. Plumbing was not visible as this was a finished basement. How would I be able to determine where this was grounded?
My apologies for such a basic question but this one is beside me.

IMG_2024|375x500

I would specify that it was not visible on the exterior rod, interior plumbing, and not readily accessible, so it was a limitation at the time of inspection.

2 Likes

That is what I have written. Still curious if these old heads have an idea.

1 Like

Related… 1/2" copper water pipe as ground rod

2 Likes

Not sure what that silver thing next to the service conduit is but it was not the ground wire.
Here’s a picture if it helps any.

Also, what the hell is this thing? Google doesn’t show me anything.

That’s an extendable exterior receptacle cover, so you can have something plugged in, and still out of the elements.

Weird, that thing was enclosed. Couldn’t figure out how to take the boot off or apart. Thanks.

Yeah, they’re kind of annoying to use. I’ve broken one trying to open it. Haha

The service panel had all sorts of debris in it, dust, spider webs, trash. I told the owner (pre-listing inspection) that it would be something that the buyers inspector will call out for being dirty. This old lady (in her 70’s) reached right in while I was bent down and started brushing the stuff out. Fingers all between the wires and all! I nearly had a heart attacked. I was like WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!

I’m guessing that the large solid copper conductor is the GEC. Looks like it goes into the raceway with the feeder conductors. Also there’s a double tap on the neutral.

The boot doesn’t open. That is just extendable to act like a plastic bubble cover. This is a new style of in use cover… Note the hinge on the top plastic part. The outer plastic ring opens up to expose what is hopefully a gfci protected receptacle. If you look under it you will see the holes for the cord.

2 Likes

Similar… https://www.build.com/taymac-ml500/s1459416?uid=3435717&jmtest=gg-gbav2_3435717

Jacob. The SEC are underground in a metallic raceway. Post, Underground Lateral next time.

Alexander pointed you in the right direction. Limitation.
General Limitations and Exclusions

Likely bonded/grounded using a bonding bushing to the raceway.

Haven’t seen one in my neck of the woods. The rubberized accordion collar is moot for weatherproof protection when the back of the GFCI mounting Gang Weatherproof enclosure is not sufficiently sealed from behind.

Yes, I know where the SEC were coming from. My reply to Alex was in the direction he was talking about.

Thanks! Never knew about these. Also, the house had zero GFCI’s anywhere. Safe to assume it wasn’t under this as well.

Both these were my thoughts as well. Thanks for the help. :metal:t2:

Not really, depending on the age of the home. The Exterior was the first location required for protection!

• Outdoors (since 1973)
  • Bathrooms (since 1975)
  • Garages (since 1978)
  • Kitchens (since 1987)
  • Crawl spaces and unfinished basements (since 1990)
  • Wet bar sinks (since 1993)
  • Laundry and utility sinks (since 2005)
1 Like

House was built in 1972. There was 1 (one) GFCI outlet in the entire home and it was in the garage.

EGC, Equipment Grounding Conductor. Best to use proper description for members.

Pass only ability. Cable utility bonded the Coaxial Signal Cable Splitter to the metering equipment enclosure with a bonding strap.
One can safely assume the conduit was measured for resistance prior the installation.

Curious, did you test any receptacles for GFCI protection, even though you did not visually observe any outlets or breakers? It’s likely that when the garage was upgraded with GFCI, it also covered the exterior and bathroom to bring those areas up to date also. This was allowed (bathroom), depending (again) what year it was done.