Handrails?

Would you call out no handrails here for the entire set of stairs or just the upper portion near the front porch?

Handrail needed for the entire run of the stairway as there are inadequate breaks in landings…
Also…
missing step (paver) needs replacement…

Damn. I was afraid of that. My thought too. Thanks.

Entire flight of stairs. Handrails are required on stairway that has 4 or more risers. Think of it this way, would an older person just need the handrail on the upper part near the front porch, or on the lower part near the sidewalk or just in the middle or on the entire length of the stairs? :wink:

I typically call out two or more risers myself…4 is generous! Was just hoping to avoid having to add more defects to the report. Thanks guys.

I’m guessing this is a long report.
4 or more risers is per C…
So, just pulling your chain a bit, if you call out 2 or more risers on a stairs that have 5 steps, do you recommend having the handrail starting at the 1st riser or just the last 3? And then which last 3? From the bottom or the top of the stairs?
:smiley:

My code check book (given it is not current version…) states two or more risers require grippable handrail (315.1)IRC

Thus my thought that 4 risers was generous! I like your theory of 5 risers with a railing on three of them! :slight_smile:

Personally I would observe the missing paver,mention this tread material will be difficult to shovel causing a greater chance of a safety hazard and recommend handrails.

Not to concerned with the 4" baluster rule though…lol

Admit it gets a little slack because of being an architectural type placement though you could also call out the over extended nosing’s which are a bit of a trip hazard.

Would you mind posting that code? All IRC I’ve ever seen are 4 plus risers require handrail.

That is the primary safety need (above the need for and in addition to Handrail)…

Very interesting!

I could make a case that handrails are not required as the “Risers” are not above grade! If someone steps off the side of the step, they will not fall, but trip. This is the distinction.

I think Bob was going there with his statement, but fell short (out of fear of retribution)??? :wink:

Good luck with that…
do you have E&O?
run that suggestion by them before forwarding your report…
(Since you posted the question, your posts are now discoverable)

Awesome!

1. I said “I could”, not “I do”,

2. Even if “I did”, I would not think twice about it.

Now, in a commercial environment… it would be a whole nuther story!

:slight_smile:

Commercial… nothing required…
LOL
your market may vary…

Not required, but extreme likelihood of owner being sued for **any **mishap, even **with **guard/handrails.

Jeffrey…
I had a “Dis-Interested Third Party Claim” about 4 years ago…
It was a Commercial / Multi-Family Property (Apartment) Building for a Client where he purchased the building.

At a later date…
A guest of a (subsequent / not residing at time of Inspection) Tenant…
Fell on a Stairway leaving a Party (drunk)
became injured…
and proceeded to sue me…
for $55,000

E&O does not cover this…

You will pay for these when they occur
even if you have E&O…

@Christopher - Like I mentioned, I’m going off of old Code Check field guide dated 2000. Someone earlier pointed out that the recent IRC changed to 4 risers.

“Handrail - Grippable rail req’d if 2 or more risers…[315.1]” - 2000 Code Check

Double checked my old notes from Home Inspection School back in 2003 and I have down 2 risers there as well. Things change.

All the more reason we don’t cite code in our reports.

John,
The fact that you questioned,
substantiates the need for the recommendation…
Let some one else say you are wrong…
If that opinion is accepted, the liability is then transferred…

Nah,just too lazy for looking up landscape stairs,landing definitions,etc,as there is an exception on certain size treads and risers heights.

Personally when it comes to safety I often look up these exact numbers doing a report to back me up (how do guys do this on site)? never mind that is another thread but forgetting all that I throw out the book and look at the situation from a practical standpoint (see pavers)(see snow).
We can discuss and argue all day but the difference in our reports is how we broach a subject /issue as much as how we verbally notify our clients and that is where experience/skill set come into play.

Hope that explains a little.

I was just asking. I’ve never seen 2 risers written in any code, I’ve seen 3.

Whatever it’s worth; the situation you posted, I’d recommend a handrail for full length of stairs.