Hawian NACHI member passes away in snow boarding accident.

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

NACHI member Ian Smith of Maui, HI passed away in a snow boarding accident. I spoke to his wife and gave her our condolences.

God bless you Ian. You will be missed.

Nick

Originally Posted By: wwarner

Thoughts and prayers with the Smith family.

Bill

It's only Rock 'n Roll.... but I like it!

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

I talked to FREA’s Chris Butler yesterday. FREA insured him. Chris is going to call his wife again for us.

Nick

Originally Posted By: Chris Butler

Ladies and Gentlemen,

As FREA had insured Mr. Smith for the last 14 months, it was a heart stopper to see Nick’s post about a member of NACHI passing away and finding out about Ian Smith this way.

In the last two days I have spoken with a very close friend of the Smith family.

She has conveyed to me the story of Ian’s passing and they would like me to share that he was doing something that he loved immensely which was snowboarding.

He and his 7-month pregnant wife left Maui, Hawaii for Tahoe, California to visit her family one last time before the baby is born, on or a little before April 9th, 2004. On April 9th, 2004 (Good Friday) Ian Smith left the lodge where his pregnant wife and his father and mother in-law awaited his and his two brother-in-laws return from a day on the mountain. Unfortunately, for Mrs. Smith and their yet to be determined son or daughter, Ian did not return as he hit a 6" diameter tree head on and was killed instantly.

I have spoken with Nick and his first reaction was where do we send the money, what is the address and the name of trust or who it should be made out too.

I have just spoken with the friend of the family and told her of the overwhelming support that permeates the NACHI family and how many of you would like to do something. So she is going to talk with Ian’s widow this weekend about the overwhelming response that Ian’s fellow NACHI members have shown for him in passing. And provide to me the information either Monday or Tuesday of next week.

As soon as I receive this information I will pass on to you the members of NACHI.

Sincerely,

Chris Butler

(former) Director of Membership @ FREA

Originally Posted By: Chris Butler

Gentlemen and Ladies,

here is the e-mail that Nick and I just received.

Aloha Chris & Nick,

Thanks again for all your aloha and support for the loss of Ian Smith. I just spoke with his widow, Antoinette, who is also very appreciative of your support. Anyone who is interested in sending in a donation for Ian's baby can send their check made payable to:

Antoinette Smith
Post Office Box 1011
Haiku, Maui, Hawaii 96708

Thank you again ... and God Bless!!

Much Aloha,

Mary

Sincerely,

--
Chris Butler
(former) Director of Membership @ FREA

Originally Posted By: dfrend

First, my condolences to the family. I did not know him, but as a NACHI member, my heart goes out.

If anyone wishes to donate, you can send a donation through the NACHI Foundation. Make sure to indicate that it is for the Ian Smith Memorial Fund. All donations will be sent to the family. By donating the money to the foundation, your gift will be tax deductible.

Let's show our true colors here!

Donationas can be via paypal to donations@nachifoundation.org or mail a check to:

The NACHI Foundation
PO Box 722
Millersville, MD 21108

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store
www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: dfrend

Nick has graciously offerd $500 of his OWN money to the fund! Thanks Nick.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com