Healthy Homes 11: Electricity Course

Research & Writing Assignment:

The article “Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupter” points out that AFCIs are electrical circuit breaker devices that are used to detect arcing between electrical equipment and the outlet that the equipment is plugged into. AFCIs are used in specific areas and rooms of the home. They were designed to decrease the opportunity for an electrical arc to cause a fire and to help save lives and reduce property loss.

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

Electrical outlets must be protected from the elements. It is required that every external electrical outlet on a residential have a cover to protect it against becoming wet and also be protected from a ground fault. All outlets and over-current protection devices should be tested.

When inspecting the Main electrical service panel, Safety should be your main concern. Make it a practice to check the panel for any visible loose or frayed wiring going into the panel. It is also a good practice to test the dead front cover to see if it is energized with either a sensor or the back of your hand prior to opening the panel.

The electrical outlet serving the sump pump in the unfinished basement was not of the GFCI type at the time of the inspection. Upon inspection of the electrical panel, the breaker serving the outlet was not of the GFCI type. Based on the building permit date of February 2010, and the town adopting the 2008 NEC standards, outlets in this unfinished basement are required to be of the GFCI type. This is a safety issue due to the possibility of electrical shock. Any electrical repairs should be made by a licensed electrician.

The article studied for this portion of the assignment was “Electrical Service from Hell”. The specific section of note was the tandem breaker section. While the “mismatched tandem breaker on a single phase of the bus” was interesting, another area which could have been mentioned is whether or not the panel was allowed to have a tandem in that slot. If a panel is not designed and UL tested/approved for a tandem in a specific location, then there should not be a tandem located there. Approved tandem locations are shown on the diagram inside the panel cover. If a fire were to occur at an unapproved tandem location and the insurance company investigation found out, they may not pay on the insurance claim.

The outlet on the left hand side of the kitchen sink is not GFCI protected which is a safety concern. I recommend a licensed electrician to replace. At least one outlet in the kitchen is missing a cover plate. I recommend installing cover plates.

I have learned that attic pull down ladders are prone to a number of defects, most of which are due to improper installation. The opening should not be less than 20"-30"to any attic area having a clear height of over 30". The proper fasteners should be used, make sure ladder frame is properly secured to the ceiling opening, uncompromised fire barrier, Ladder should not be too short or long, no cracked steps and some safety tips for clients involving child safety, not carrying large heavy loads, replace old rickety wooden ladder with a new aluminum one.

electrical switches cover plates/these cover plates for electrical switches or outlets or there for a reason. I have been to many Home where there are a number of cover plates missing 3ven on Homes that was up for sale. this is a simple fix, go buy and install the cover plate. if you do not have the time or tools or even know how, please get someone to get it done.

Electrical System / Most households circuits are wired with or for a 15- 20 amps breakers, overcurrent protection devices are designed to protect not only the electric system but also the person from a fatal electrical shock. which is why the type of electrical components must be approached with caution.

Receptacle testers are useful tools for home inspectors to test receptacles during a home inspection and locate electrical problems. They can identify problems such as an open ground and open neutral. A receptacle tester normally cannot test for bootleg grounds.

The constant movement of loose electrical outlets can loosen the wires connected to the outlet and create dangerous arcing. A loose outlet pushes in every time you insert a plug. Often it happens because the cutout around the outlet box is too big

Electrical panels are boxes that house circuit breakers. Most of the time, the panels and the breakers inserted inside them must be by the same manufacturer. Each manufacturer has one or more “systems”, or kinds of breaker panels, that will only accept breakers of that type.

“my essay” Electrical safety. When replacing fuses use the recommended fuse that is required. Overloading that circuit with a larger fuse will put strain on conductor size. Find and correct the overloaded circuit. All out lets around water such as bathrooms should have GFCIs instead of regular outlets to protect against shock.

“my Essay” Extension chords and safety. In this picture I was using this extension chord to spray a houses soffit. My pump shut down and I could not figure out why. The breaker on the older home tripped and keep tripping. I then started to look at the chord and found this a burnt end. Yes I can easily replace the end but there is no telling how far down the wire is burnt inside. The cost of a new extension cord is not worth what the consequences of continuous use of this cord.

special outlets are designed for appliances that use more than 120 volts. this is to protect us from plugging in to an over powered receptical and causing harm to our selves or equipment. we also use polarized sockets to prevent us from plugging a connection in wrong.

Drop cords are electrical cords used to supply short term power from the outlet to the tool or light that is needed a short distance away from the outlet. It is imperative to use only certified power chords to protect you and your property from harm.

Receptacle testers are useful tools for home inspectors to test receptacles during a home inspection and locate electrical problems. They can identify problems such as an open ground and open neutral. A receptacle tester normally cannot test for bootleg grounds.

GFCI Application
This GFCI is installed in a bathroom location 2 ft away from the water basin. It is grounded and has a non GFCI in line to it in a downstream location making it acceptable in its present location and complying to current standards.

Aluminum wiring
This article discussed the application of aluminum wiring in home in the 1965 & 1973,the wiring was effective from a cost basis but proved to be unreliable long term due to material breakdown. They breakdown quicker and can lead to loose connections causing the potential for fires. The most effective fix is to retire the entire house, although may be very costly. Most cases can result in localized repairs at the box with approve repair connectors. Always refer any repair suggestion to a certified electrical contractor.

My Electrical Panel Findings. There was no Panel Legend Directory to Identify circuits.Also missing panel blank filler.And no storage is allowed in front of panel, which requires minimum 30 inches clearance Asper per NFPA 70 sec 110.26 2 working space.