Heat Resistant Roof Gloves

I would say 80° and up. The shingles will start to melt under your feet?

5 Likes

I don’t remember how I found this, but this is my description for high surface temperatures.
Asphalt Roofing Manufacturing Assoc. cites that caution should be used when installing asphalt shingles in ambient temperatures at or above 90ºF. At these temperatures, the shingle’s can be easily scarred by walking on them.

2 Likes

That maybe does sound like the temp that asphalt starts to get soft, but jeeze… I’d get laughed out of town if I said I don’t walk on roofs when it’s 80* or above. I bet that describes the majority of Texas roofs at noon on most days of the year.

Is that your personal standard too? That also sounds like a little overkill for Texas. I think I’m just expected to be more careful lol. I’m curious what other Texas inspectors’ standards are.

1 Like

It depends on how lite you are on your feet. You don’t want to walk on the roof like Big Foot.
giphy

4 Likes

I go roof by roof on whether I walk or not. I have gotten to where I can almost tell if the shingles are soft and in danger of getting scuffed up with the first step off the ladder. I’m in Oklahoma, so it is 100+ all the time.

Since I wear size 13 shoes, some might think bigfoot has been on their roof if I was to leave tracks!

3 Likes

Compared to my 9-1/2, you are big foot. LOL

In my experience in roofing in hot weather, damage occurs when you are kneeling to install the shingles caused by the flexing of your boot ends. Just walking with flat feet and being careful bending down should not be a problem.

4 Likes

I just wear my socks so as not to scuff things up. :rofl:

5 Likes

Ouch, and ouch!!

2 Likes

I had a canteen just like that once! Even had a cup went around the bottom! Hooked it on my belt.

2 Likes

Here’s to you Bob…

4 Likes

Can you southerners please keep that heat down there? Us Minnesotans are still carrying our winter “insulation” and we can’t handle this 100 degree crap. :blush:

4 Likes

Their response was:
Thank you for contacting Owens Corning. We do not have a recommendation for a specific temperature, but we do recommend following the guidance listed in the attached ARMA Technical Bulletin.

ARMA Bullein:
Recommendations-for-Storage-and-App-of-Asphalt-Roofing-Shingles-in-Hot (1).pdf (257.5 KB)

Lots of good info in there. Don’t stack shingles more than 4’ tall. Don’t drape stacks over ridges and hips. Asphalt strips may get “blinded” by dust on a construction site before application. North facing, steeper slopes may never get hot enough for the asphalt to seal from the sun and may require manual sealing. Install the shingles that have been on the roof the longest to avoid overexposure to the suns heat before installation.

But as far as walking on hot roofs, all they say is wear soft soled shoes and be careful, or wait until it cools.

For the sake of argument, a steeper hot roof would be more likely to get damaged than a gentle hot roof, so I guess it’s hard to pin point a temperature across the board. You just have to make a judgement to not get on it, or be careful.

4 Likes

These are my gloves, from Chattanooga TN.
they are light weight, with protective leather palms and breathable cloth backs, and a rubberized design on the palm for grip.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update! Also Gee why am I not surprised you did not receive an actual answer. Of course that was rhetorical.

I’ve reached out to various manufacturers on similar type questions where a situation is recurring and yet they do not cover it anywhere in their technical documentation. With one exception that I can remember did I ever receive an actual answer to the question. It all comes down to the same thing. The trades don’t want to know as they can be held accountable for it and the manufacturer doesn’t want others to know so as not to piss off the trades if became an issue. After all they are there to support the distributors and the trades and not the end users as the distributors and trades are the ones really keeping them in business.

I did see that tech bulletin and this is another source (ARMA) for providing my clients at least some information and reasoning behind a call if it is ever questioned. This is an interesting quote from the TB.

During Application
Always be careful when working on sloped roofs. In hot weather applications, the asphalt coating on the shingles will soften. Wear soft-soled footwear to minimize foot slippage possibilities and scuffing of the shingles. On steeper roofs where worker footprints, such as toe or heel marks, are likely to be more concentrated in small areas, use reasonable care to minimize scuffing and, if necessary, wait until the shingles and ambient temperatures cool. Ensure roof safety by following all required safety precautions; such precautions should include use of fall protection devices.

Maybe follow up with this question and see if their Engineers/Designers will provide an answer.

At what high end temperature will the asphalt coatings on the shingles soften to the point they should not be worked with and/or walked on?

2 Likes

Key words (During Application)