Heat Resistant Roof Gloves

Any recommendations for heat resistant gloves for crawling around a roof? Black shingles in 104* weather is pretty rough. Even doubling up the “heavy duty” coated gloves from harbor freight doesn’t cut it.

Extra points if it works with a touchscreen, although I don’t mind cutting off some fingertips

1 Like

When I do need to touch the roof in those type temperatures I just use a good, snug fitting, gardening glove. It does not need to be that heat resistant as touching is a very short duration.

However in our heat I would not consider directly accessing a roof unless I can get to it early in the morning. The roof surface temp can easily reach 150+ Degrees under direct sunlight at our high daytime ambient temperatures. Add to it no wind and that is akin to standing on a baking sheet in an oven and can be dangerous. Heat exhaustion can happen quickly and the last thing you want is to be on that roof if it starts setting in.

Another important aspect is the shingle itself. At those temperatures (ambient and raised) the asphalt components in the shingle has the potential of softening especially if granual loss is higher. At that point damage can occur to the shingle even when trying to walk like a cat on the surface.

5 Likes

Very good point, thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

I went with these. Leather palms with touchscreen fingertips

Thanks for the picture and info, lol. :joy: :grin: :blush:

2 Likes

Any good fitting work glove is fine.
It’s the concrete tile roofs that are crazy hot come mid-day.

1 Like

At those temperatures, you should not even be walking on that roof.
And don’t blame it on mechanical damage if you find something.

8 Likes

CLC Custom Leathercraft 125L Handyman Flex Grip Work Gloves, Shrink Resistant, Improved Dexterity, Tough, Stretchable, Excellent Grip https://a.co/d/eyy7K0u

1 Like

I agree with Marcel. If the roof is hot enough to need gloves, you risk marring it up.

2 Likes

Yea, that may be a limitation in the afternoon sometime this week and I have already done that a couple times this year so far. For what it’s worth, I wear cougar paws with cushy foam soles and don’t think I’ve effected any shingles too much more than I do on a spring day. And I sweat a lot, including my palms, so I always wear gloves on a roof.

I just submitted a contact form at Corning Owens asking about what surface temperature shouldn’t be walked on, in their opinion. I see that question was asked on the forum before but never got a straight answer. I’d love to know so I can test it and also have something to back me up against any judgement. There are plenty of inspectors who are walking on scalding hot roofs and people might be disappointed I’m not. But that matters less once something is in writing and it’s not my opinion against theirs.

1 Like

Do let us know if Corning ever responds. I’ve tried similar with other manufacturers and they either never answer the actual question or never respond. Lots the manufacturers don’t state in their specs and procedures.

How are your temps this week? Ours is predicted to be 109 today, several days of 107, then finally dropping to a whopping cool of 103! :hot_face:

2 Likes

8 Likes

No doubt those will work. LOL

2 Likes

Heat index is predicted to be 109 Mid-day today. High Temp is somewhere between 103 and 105 for the next ten days at least

1 Like

Hope all stay out of attics at those temps.

3 Likes

Just got a new tub of electrolyte/BCAA/trace mineral power for my daily water jug. Once in a while I do an attic in two acts with a break in between

2 Likes

4 Likes

This is the one I like because I can wrap around my head and put my hat back on or around my neck.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mission-Original-Evaporative-Cool-Technology-Cooling-Towel-10-x-33-Mission-Blue/954516826

Less expensive than yeti and may be better quality. I have had mine for years.

1 Like

I just use these and I do not answer my phone on the roof so…

https://www.walmart.com/ip/G-F-Work-Gloves-Durable-Safe-Abrasion-Resistant-level-4-Mechanics-Gloves-Size-x-Large/520190746?athbdg=L1600

1 Like