Help me understand - Licensing is bad?

Rick I’m starting to smell a rat.:frowning:
There have been numerous discussions on this board with regard to licensing tha can be accessed by searching. However, here is a short list of questions to help answer you own question.

Is it right for the government to mandate E&O?

Is it right for the state to mandate business practice?

Why do only certain HI associations to promote licensing?

What benifit to the HI or consumer is gained by state regulation as opposed to HI membership in an HI organization?

I smelled a rat yesterday when I started reading this thread. Appears to be a “straw man” argument from the get go. Having been involved in fighting licensing for about a decade it isn’t hard to spot a shill anymore.

I suspected but didn’t mention it. I will no longer participate in this thread until Rick discloses who he is and his business information. I don’t expect he will.:shock:

Rick’s profile is a bit thin.

Rick.jpg

Yep. very thin

Rick

People think licensing = good inspector and that no licensing = bad inspector

Remember that after one gets a license that someone will be that inspector’s FIRST client and that client will think that the inspector is good because he or she is licensed.

He or she might be good but it will not be because of the license. I will be because of the inspector’s complete background and professional skills way outside the license narrow requirements.

Licensing is just puts false security in the client’s mind just like so many other words such as certified, background check, master, experienced, trained, professional, contractor, engineer, union made, quality control, guaranteed, warranty etc.

Inspectors are good or bad based on their personal desire to get the right training. This training will come from, vendors, schools, military, mentors, NACHI, the school of hard knocks, mother and dad etc.

If one wants to keep bad inspectors out of the market place then EDUCATE the public as to what an inspection is and what it is not. Require that education before a person can buy a home.

Some where along the line the home owner must be educated about paying the mortgage, insurance, taxes, maintenance, utilities etc.

A home uninspected goes neglected.

Home inspection is not just when one buys or sells. It should be on going.

**Airplanes, ships, hospitals, resturants , cars, etc get inspected at other times than just when they are sold why not a home? **

rlb

The state license website doesn’t show a licensed HI by that name either.

That figures. I doubt we will be hearing from Rick again.:roll:

Rick

I too would like to know you better

Why not take some time and introduce your self? We are all good people here and as you can see we have tried to answer your question.

Have we??

rlb

O.K. Frank, the jigs up, come on out, we see the blue!

I recently taught a CE class that was attended by a lot of real estate appraisers. There were over 75 of them there from 2 states. At lunch one of them said they’d heard that some of the real estate agents in Missouri and Kansas had been working to get home inspectors licensed.

They asked me what I thought of that. I told them what I thought of that and mentioned how we had a certain inspection group that seemed to have a vested interest in trying to control everyone else.

After lunch before the class started, I asked the room what they thought of licensing and what it had done to help them and their profession. A couple talked about how it had helped thenm by getting rid of a “Billy-Bob” in their area that used to take their business or that they didn’t like.

The response from the rest of the crowd was overwhelmingly unanimous. The comments just kept rolling in on how bad licensing had been for them; how many hoops and new rules somebody else that didn’t know squat about their business kept throwing at them; how licensing had cost them more and more business; about the new rules on the :drive-by" appraisals putting them out of business; about how their education and credentials now meant squat; how the big winners were the appraisal training schools that kept popping up everywhere; they kept bringing up that lenders or real estate agents were trying to dump more liability on them while controlling more of the appraisers business; most of them said they were getting less and less appraisal business than BEFORE licensing and making less money while spending more to get it.

Most of them that had been in business for any length of tim indicated that licensing was the worst thing that had ever happened to their profession, and kept emphasing that we should fight it as long as we can.

OK you guys convinced me, I agree, licensing sucks:twisted: :twisted:
There are too plusses by just being a nacho certified " inspector for 289.00 or if you have a few more $s, a "Certified Master:roll: Inspector "by a real estate salesman.:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dan or should we call you Rick?

Do you know any other songs? I’m getting tired of that one.

What more do you want:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I added the line … nacho inspectors are “certified” and can be Certified Master Inspectors by a real estate salesman, a member of the same group of people that busshy is trying to discredit and claims they do not have any business in our licensing decisions.:roll: :roll: :roll:

How about honesty Dan.

OK… Tell me what I’ve posted that isn’t true… :shock: :shock: :shock:

Careful, Mike loves to argue :slight_smile:

I noticed that, it must be something in that special nacho flavored kool aid :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:
</IMG></IMG></IMG>

Dan

Real simple — 1000 points on the honor system gets you the CMI

Some of the best tests of the profession on the honor system get you membership in NACHI

Are you saying that inspectors are dis honest??

I think you should take the anti honesty idea to the rest room

rlb

Since you asked.:stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.nachi.org/forum/showpost.php?p=203081&postcount=244

Wow! Shill, rat, straw man…
Guess we’ll never hear from him…
Profile thin…
I’m just a guy just trying to get a question answered.
If you were bright enough to look up my “thin” profile, perhaps you should have gone the extra step of looking at my “few” posts.
I am coming into the business… see my post “What to put in the bag”
As I’ve said the whole time, I am just trying to educate myself as to the argument against licensing.
Thanks to those who have given intelligent replys. I can see how a license may give the public a false sense of security…as my reference to my cousin with his IT experience spells out. I don’t know if no standards are better than min. standards, but so be it.
Seems to me that the basic argument here is more NACHI vs ASHI than anything. Ironically enough I was at an ITA open house last week and overheard (and did not participate in) a discussion of ASHI vs NACHI from an ITA instructor and an (apparent) member of NACHI. What was interesting was that the ITA instructor was bashing NACHI while the other was bashing ASHI. It was quite entertaining, actually, and while the school that ITA has seems to be a quality facility, the passion against ANY particular organization by an instructor made me shall we say “uneasy”.
I also feel the passion against licensing here and also find it funny that some of you will reject someone with a different view just because of that view.

My original question was Are you against Licensing in General? or Are you against “BAD” licensing laws? and What makes up “BAD” licensing laws?
I think I have my answer.
I’m sorry I ever asked.