hey am I stupid or does no mean no

this line is connected to the main water line (copper) coming form the pressure tank (well)… it gets distributed to kitchen and bath as well as feeds the boiler…

its hard to read but manufacturer is Wirsbo (Sp?) and it says

“NOT FOR POTABLE WATER”

am i stupid or is this not intended for the main water line…

102.jpg

102.jpg

Wirsbo (Uponor) also makes PEX for radiant floor heating and fire systems. Those may not be for potable water use. They probably just bought the wrong stuff.

After further reading: Uponor’s heat pex, has an oxygen barrier. Because getting products through all the necessary testing and certification costs many thousands of dollars, Uponor decided not to apply for potable water certification for heat pex because logically, it is a more expensive product so who’s gonna use it for water piping. Fact is though it is the exact same pipe as the aqua-pex and it has an oxygen barrier.

most of this stuff was frozen solid… you could see the ice in it…

http://www.nsf.org/certified/plumbing/

Check out the above cool search engine site from The National Safety foundation.

Meanwhile see this…

PVC, CPVC, PEX, and Other Plastic Plumbing Materials

Plastic plumbing has been used for potable and non-potable water applications since the 1950s. Initially, there were many concerns about these products potentially leaching harmful chemicals into the water. To ensure that the public’s health was protected, independent standards were quickly developed which established strict guidelines for these products.

Today, plastic plumbing products designed for potable water applications are usually designated with either “NSF-PW” or “NSF-61” to indicate that the product complies with the health effects requirements of NSF/ANSI Standard 61 for materials designed for contact with potable water. This standard also establishes similar guidelines for other plumbing materials, including copper tubing. If your pipe is not coded with one of these designations or if it is designated with an alternative code such “NSF-DWV,” it is probably not meant for potable water applications and should not be used for such purposes.

Thats one of the things I like about PEX, especially the Wirsbo brand. It has the capability to freeze, expand and thaw while the pipe is retaining 100% memory. I have yet to find a piece of PEX split due to freezing. Maybe I will test a piece in the back yard. I have a number of pieces that I can seal up and leave outside. Will do that tomorrow and post in a week after a couple freezes.

no need to decipher a code when stamped on the side… “NOT FOR POTABLE WATER” :smiley:

Sorry… thought you might be interested in a great material search engine.
I will leave it up for those that are interested .

Guys like me are always trying to learn more.

sorry Bob,

did not mean to come off that way… very helpful…

I was just saying the installer should have and DID see the writing written on the side… could not have been confused at all… it was plain as day!

Non the less check out that site.
Just do not anyone to miss it. :slight_smile:

Maybe it should have said, “No para potable agua” :wink:

I’m interested. bookmarked it. Thanks.:smiley:

Ok OK I mis-understood him.

I am not crabby.