Plastic pipe

Just saw this on a condo built in 1981. What material is it?

The white pipe is PEX. The grey fittings are polybutylene fittings. The PEX is probably recent. (I bet PB is the predominant plumbing material in use.) Any PB would be grounds for referral to a plumber. The mix of materials is reason enough for referral to a plumber.

I can’t be sure from the pic but it looks like painted copper stubs coming out of the wall.

The PB fittings are being used as a transition between the copper and the PEX to the water heater.

Also, I think the TPR has PVC attached and that would be the wrong material for this use.

In regards to this…I’ve seen a PVC product that is made for TPR’s a couple of times in the last few months. As a matter of fact it is a pipe that is labeled for use with TPR. So when you see a PVC pipe on the TPR you no longer can assume it is a defect. Be sure to read what is written on the side. Next time I see one, I’ll get a good picture and post it for everyone.

I think with all the copper being stolen, they came up with this product for replacement.

Thanks Mark. I haven’t seen that yet.

I would think CPVC would be the easiest replacement choice.

I appears to be leaking at the copper / CPVC connections…

Attached is a set up of last week with the addition of a few other material.

PVC on the TPR valve is always a defect. There is a “white” pipe (not PVC) that is listed specifically for TPR discharge piping and, as you said, it says so directly on the pipe. I see this material mostly on manufactured homes.

Andrew - PEX is not allowed for the first 18" of the water-heater supply or return.

You are correct. It does not say PVC, nor does it say CPVC. It does however say that it is specifically for TPR discharge piping.

It looks just like PVC though, and it would be easy to glance at and make a bad call.

For The Record: PEX is allowed for the first 18" of electric water-heater supply or return in Canada, go figure…


It’s for a central vacuum… not drain pipe…

Some info on the pipe markings on the pipe visible in the picture.


  • rigid Poly (Vinyl Chloride) (PVC) pipe fittings intended for use in pressure applications such as water mains, water service piping, process piping, etc.
  • gasketed pressure pipe fittings for use with CI sized PVC pipe.
  • chlorinated Poly (Vinyl Chloride) (CPVC) fittings for hot and cold water pressurized distribution systems.

CSA Standard B137.3Rigid Poly (Vinyl Chloride) (PVC) Pipe for Pressure ApplicationsCSA Standard B137.6CPVC Pipe, Tubing and Fittings for Hot and Cold Water Distribution SystemsCSA Standard B137.2PVC Injection - Moulded Gasketed Fittings for Pressure Applications.
The above Standards may also require the use of associated Bulletins, Notices and/or Supplements due, for example, to new requirements becoming effective after publication of the Standards.

All marking required by CSA must be permanent, legible, and visible after manufacture of the pipe. The contents consist of:

  • manufacturer’s identification;
  • material designation on plastic fittings;
  • “SDR11 1PS” or “SCH80” as appropriate, on fittings for use with CPVC pipe;
  • nominal size (optional on PVC fitting Certified to B137.3);
  • POTABLE" or “P” or “PW”;
  • CSA Standard Number (optional on fittings Certified to B137.6);
  • Pressure rating at 23C on PVC injection - moulded gasketed fittings Certified to B137.2;
  • CSA Monogram.
  • :slight_smile:

I didn’t check the IRC or Canadian requirements.

That’s great if you’re in Canada Marcel. :wink:

Mike, I am just showing the info found for the markings on the pipe.
I am not saying it is right.
That whole messs should be redone by a licensed Plumber, point blank. :slight_smile:

Sorry Marcel, I didn’t mean to offend.

IMHO the NSF marking is more relevant.

No offense taken Mike and why do you day NSF is more relevant? It’s all part of the identification markings on the pipe.

No matter what I punch in for information, leads me to the same place.
The pipe came from Canada I guess. :slight_smile:

Because all potable water pipe and DWV pipe requires the NSF marking


Surely, many Canadians reads posts here…:cool:

It’s all cool Marcel:cool::cool:

Mike, the identification on the pipe means that it was approved by NSF which means National Sanitation Foundation and the csa indicates that it is a Canadian Standards Association, so the specs I listed above indicate that this pipe is from Canada, what is approved in Canada might be different for over here.

1996 - NSF establishes a joint certification agreement with the Canadian Standards Association (CSA).

Hope this explains the type of pipe. :slight_smile: