Hey Canadian Sparky's - Is this still true??

Back in 1993 The CEC allowed the replacement a two prong receptacle with a three prong if you filled the U ground with a non-conducting goop. Like caulking compound.

It was not permitted then or now in the NEC.

Anyone know when this changed or if it did change…

I believe I saw a post recently that said it was a permitted method in Canada.

I’ll look and see if I can find it.

Yes, here it is:

http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?p=42751#post42751

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinsperger
In my area a three prong outlet is required to have the ground hole permanently filled as pictured if the outlet is not grounded…

Most wall receptacles are of the duplex grounded type which provides for two places to plug in at each outlet. Appliances should always be fitted with three-prong plugs (called “caps”). The wall receptacle has three openings: two parallel slots plus one U-shaped opening. The latter is provided so that every appliance is grounded. The third wire in every cord is connected to the frame of the appliance or motor. With proper grounding, any appliance that accidentally becomes hot internally has little likelihood of severely shocking anyone. This means that there must be a three-conductor cord, a three-prong plug, and a three-opening receptacle known to be grounded.

What you are likely referring - was commonly used as a means to update older 2 prong electrical receptacles or older K&T wired receptacles. It was often used as an interim modification as long as the ground slot was sealed with silicone caulking. The intent was to stop or hinder the installation of 3-prong plugs connecting to the receptacle ground slot.

It is common today to use a GFCI receptacle in its place.

How does sensitive electronic equipment such as computers which use the ground to dissipate stray voltage function with an ungrounded GFCI receptacle?.

Just so happens that the more advanced the computers have gotten the less of a need for the EGC…more efficient and better working equipment has resulted in less of an issue these days…just some FYI

CEC approves it but NEC doesn’t.

Most kitchen appliances do not have ground pins. They are not grounded for a reason, that is to stop the person from possibly becoming the ground. Toasters are a perfect example.

I also believe in leu of filling the ground slot the next best option recommend by ESA is a GFCI. Although not grounded it offers an added degree of protection.