Home Advisor, has anyone worked with them?

Has anyone worked as a home inspector with Home Advisor?
I was contacted by them, they said they did not have anyone in my area and had 29 requests in the past 30 days for home inspections.
They offered to waive the annual advertising fee of $350 and each referral from them would be about $20. Only contract would be that I agree to take enough referrals to make up the $350 that was waived. Once the client is referred to me they are my client with no further strings from Home Advisor.
Any input would be appreciated.

They are not worth it. They tell everybody that. It is just to get your money for referrals that you can get on your own.

4 Likes

https://www.einnews.com/pr_news/436533015/contractors-join-class-action-lawsuit-against-homeadvisor

2 Likes

Not this question again ! learn to use the search function brother.

2 Likes

It is a SCAM!!!

4 Likes

Yep! Mr Fetty
In the first degree.

4 Likes

They meant there was no one in your area “dumb” enough to work with them yet. They’re waiving the fee because no one will sign up with them. Hopefully they go out of business.

4 Likes

Home Advisor leads in my area go for $35-$50, so that $20 number seems off. While I hate their business model, it was a useful tool to start the business. Every inspection allowed me a chance to show a realtor what I provided. I’d say half the realtors I work with now came thru Home Advisor contacts.
That said, I dont turn on my leads very often now. Way too many bad leads, and their credit process sucks

3 Likes

Don’t, Don’t, Just don’t.

2 Likes

Thomas,
I still use Home Advisor after 3 years. But, I’m real close to breaking ties.
Some things you should know: They do have more than 1 inspector in your area, unless you live on the moon. I haven’t seen a $20 lead in over 2 years. About the lowest I see now is in the low $30 range. If a customer picks you off the HA website, it’s closer to $50 a lead. That still doesn’t guarantee you win the business. They always waive the $350 fee the 1st year. Imho, they aren’t trustworthy. I’m almost embarrassed to admit I still use them. I leave HA during the buzy months and re-up in late October when business slows a bit. I’ve never paid for a decent website or done much advertising as I had another business and it paid the bills. That being said, I sold that business and now I need to concentrate efforts on the inspection business. This business is going well and I can trace my most productive lead sources (re agents) back to Home Advisor inspections. Don’t let that lull you into complacency.

One of the biggest problems with HA is that you are automatically competing against 2 other inspectors for that client. And you paid 30+ bucks for that privilege. So if you’re a skilled salesman, you might get 1out of three. So you paid a mminimum of $90+ for that 1 sale. That’s a lousy return on investment. There’s inspectors taking work for under $200 and they’ll do a couple a day. I can’t and won’t compete with those prices.

To win the business, you have to be lightning fast in contacting the lead and probably be the cheapest assuming the customer even talks to more than 1 inspector. I mean seconds, not minutes. You also have to follow up with an email and a text. Maybe a couple emails. You never get the client’s phone number, the calls go through HAs server. So if the client doesn’t recognize your number, they probably won’t pick up. Best I can tell, the first caller has at best chance of closing the sale. So you have to have the phone ready at all times, even on the can. Or, turn off your leads when you know you can’t be the first to respond. I’ll get several leads a day when my leads are switched on. I’m in a major metropolitan area. Nothing worse than waking up in the morning to see 3 leads at $30+ a pop and none of them call you back… there goes $100. When I do get a commitment, I take a non-refundable deposit of $50.00 over the phone. At least that covers the cost of the lead when they cancel because some clown gave them a $200 quote.

So… in a nutshell it basically sucks unless you commit 100% to busting your hump to win low paying work.

As others have mentioned, a decent website and SEO will provide a better return on your investment. You need a good website anyway. Take their advice and contact the member who provides these services.

3 Likes

28 of those 29 leads are your competition faking inquiries to drain your bank account and drive you out of business. Yes, this is a cutthroat business. Learn to save your working capital, at least until you can afford to lose it!

2 Likes

I agree with Robert its a good start but not a good long term business model. Way to many bad leads for what you get. In the long run with what I paid them in a years time costme on average of $100 per inspection averaging in all my inspections.

1 Like

STAY AWAY
SAVE YOUR$$$
It does not pay for itself.

2 Likes

Stay away. It’s a money pit.

2 Likes

They don’t like taking no for an answer either. Got phone calls every day from their salespeople. I finally blocked their number.

1 Like

Plenty of folk who chase work, especially in the beginning, that’s how they stay in business. They flood google and buyers don’t know any better.

1 Like

All of the posts to this point are spot on, accurate. Marketing is key to your success and in the end it’s about how much you want to spend on advertising and promotion. After three years I’m still using HA because it’s a place to hang your “shingle” for about $100/month. And, oh yeah, occasionally you get a “real” lead that gets turned into business i.e. $$$ which essentially covers the $1200/year…

1 Like

Thank you for all the input. I am going to stay away and just get out and meet some realtors.

It was the first thing I joined when I started my business. It was an easy way to get the phone to ring. My business took off right away from them. I still have realtors that use me that I met from home advisor. The leads used to be about 20-25. They are now 30-35. I joined about 4 yrs ago. I generally keep my leads paused now that I have an established company so I am not paying them much anymore. I do pay the annual fee 275 for me and will turn my leads on only if I am really slow. I have over 50 reviews on there now and I get maybe 5 or 6 free jobs from it that covers the 275. People can find you on there and call you directly. So there is no fee for those leads. But you don’t get many of those. Overall great to get a business going, but can be frustrating with some of the awful leads they give you. I have to call my rep to get reimbursed for bad leads. He usually comes through.

1 Like

In two words…walk away
In one word…run!

2 Likes