"Home warranties are a waste of money"

They are kind of opposites. One exudes confidence in the inspector’s abilities with an audacious guarantee. One implies incompetence that is compensated with a limited warranty to make up for the inspector’s failure.

What? Are you trying to start another lawsuit? :twisted:;-):slight_smile:

I still think Nick should create a recall program and make it free to all NACHI inspectors clients.

Just imagine the shock wave that would create. :smiley:

Not a bad idea. I’ll run ads to hire a project manager to get that done for us, but I want to talk with HON and Dominic first in Vegas next week. You know me, I don’t like eating another industry vendor’s lunch.

You already do that with other benefits.
Would you be selling client information in trade ?

I would think that would be like Mike Tyson boxing Pee-Wee Herman, no? :twisted:

I think we’d use the system we developed for the Buy Back Guarantee where we don’t even collect a full address, we only collect a portion of it. The following from www.nachi.org/buy:

We don’t ask you to trust us. We can’t sell or release your consumer data, because we don’t even collect it.

Then it would be a hit.

A monster hit

Great idea.

Someone start a poll.

I nominate you.

Go for it, Nick!

I wish all of the home inspector in my area would think that home warranties are a bad idea.

Bob’s earlier point about not letting your marketing overshadow your abilities as a professional is certainly a good one to remember and balance is indeed key. But Michael’s point is equally as good and is really the model of the very organization who is hosting us all here. You can surely survive on doing a few things, but you can’t create more opportunities for revenue and financial growth. We do a multitude of things and provide a lot of services that allow for growth or sustainability
If the real estate market slowed, outside of home inspections. I am always mindful of that and never feel as though we are in the right place. I will soon be adding blower door testing and energy consulting to our offerings. I have set up multiple businesses toward this further goal. I will never hire a second inspector. There is simply too much liability and risk in my environment. People here want who they hire. It is small. So, performing roughly 700 inspections is probably my ceiling. It isnt possible to do more as a single person. We will hit that number this year or have a great chance at it at least. But it has been a grind.

Jeff, if like you say, you are nearly maxed out on the number of inspections you can do, and you don’t want to hire another inspector, you still have many more options to make more money. Here are 5 of them:

1. Hire non-inspector help: Office manager, marketing help, etc. so that you only do the inspections.
  2. Offer ancillary inspections. For example: the Energy Score using a “While I’m Here” brochure](http://www.inspectoroutlet.com/home-energy-inspection-brochure-while-im-here.aspx).
  3. Increase your fees.
  4. Increase your efficiency (both logistical and financial).
  5. Market harder so that you have more work coming in than you can possibly schedule, allowing you to take the gravy jobs and turn down the rest.

Are you coming to Inspection Universe next week? I’m giving a talk on some of these items.

Newbies are concerned with getting more work. Veterans should be concerned with making more money. No one goes into business to get more work to do in life.

No offense, but that is the biggest bunch of brainwashed garbage!!
If you actually believe that junk you need to reconsider your business plan. If giving away your clients info to anyone and paying for gimmicks is necessary for you to get clients you might want to consider what is wrong with your own actual Inspection skills and your own marketing skills. Not to mention who in their right mind would sign away their rights to use a competitors similar products if they wanted to without getting sued?

Talk about giving up your rights to run your biz the way you see fit…What happened to Free Enterprise??

Just sayin… I don’t know you, so this is not any attack against youi, just a bit of advice and my own opinion.

Jim

Nick I know you considered doing the recall thing way back and dropped it, My guess is that you were too involved with your boy Nate. If you would actually do it that would be a great thing for your members, and indirectly help out the industry as a whole.

Go for it Nick.

Jim

. Maybe just buy HON out?

Too bad (I believe) HONs system is based on client information being collected and released to 3rd parties. Nick has stated many times he would never participate in such business practices.

Jim