Homeowner needs education

From the water meter to my house is about 300 feet and the water line is 2 inch diameter pipe. About 20 feet from the house this pipe was leaking. I located the leak about 32 inches below the surface and called a plumber. He reaired the leak in about 50 miutes and had my pipe covered with dirt before I could inspect the repair. Althought the leak is fixed, I have very little water presssure in two of my three bathrooms and absolute no water flowing to the outside faucets that are located another 200 feet from the repair site. With all faucets closed, the water meter indicates NO flow. I’m concerned that the plumber used some type of expansion or telescoping coupling that reduced the 2 inch diameter pipe to a diamter too small to provide adequate pressure. Am I on the right track?

It would not reduce the pressure but a reduction in pipe diameter would reduce water volume.

Is the valve at the meter completely open?

What did the plumber say when you asked them about your problem?

Thanks for replying. Yes the valve at the meter is fully opened. I called the plumber and got the answering service. I hope to get the plumber back tomorrow morning as I have a business trip scheduled for the afternnon and the family needs the bathrooms.

Even with lower pressure or volume you would still expect to get some water to all fixtures.

It is odd the plumber did not check the flow in the house after the repair.

My son just advised me that water to the kitchen sink has practically stopped but has a brown tint to it. Now I’m wondering if debris entered the system during the repair and is slowly making its way to the smaller lines and clogging them. I’ve got to pack for my trip but I’ll check back in the morning should you or any else have a suggestion. Again, thank you.

That is a possibility. I would not drink the tap water tonite.

My first thought was dirt getting into the lines. If the plumber didn’t clean the hole out well, dirt may have entered either when the pressure was turned off or when the hole had a “cave in” from the wet material.

The plumber never checked things at the house because he didn’t want to clean things up inside the house. Remove some of the aerators at the faucets and see what you find.

That was my first thought. Good call Scott!

Thanks to everyone. I have found dirt, sand, crud at a few aerators. If I can get the plumber back out I’ll have him disconnect the supply lines to the toilets and clear them, maybe flush the hot water heater as well. I’m pressed for time due to a planned business trip.

I do have a concern about the possible use of an expansion coupling to make this repair. According to my quick internet search, a 2 inch exp coupling reduces to 1-1/8 inch. This will be a bottle neck in the supply line and may also contribute to the lack of water. Is this an accepatale use of such a coupling? I need strong pressure and volume next summer for watering my garden which is well beyond my home…

I presume the pressure and flow was adequate for needs prior to this repair? If not an additional pump system at the house may help… The pipe would have to be sized appropriately for the distance, lift etc… to the home. I would be surprised if the compression fitting reduced the supply size too much… but the plumber would be responsible for ensuring that… IF things were ok before the leak, I would guess it would be a dirt/debris issue…

Issue has been resolved. Dirt/debris was the problem. All fixtures have been cleaned (faucets, shower heads, dishwater, icemaker, etc.) and the plumber even replaced the valves in two toliets and flushed the hot water heater. He did not use an expansion coupling but instead made the repair with a compression fitting. Everyone on this forum is batting 1000. Thanks.