Hoping to start out on the right foot....What is the best wa

Originally Posted By: rpalac
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

hi<

this is new to me (that is NACHI).

I have been inspecting for a long time, hoverer not as a home inspector. Iwas a private inspector for a corporation and have just recently decided to go solo.

My back ground as a builder safety and electrical inspector, building inspectro, licensed realtor, HVAC certified and electric sertified is great support but not enough to know what would be the best presentation information for clients.

I'm am very nervous and not prepared as yet for my first inspection. I do not have the proper paper work or software and am not sure what to use. Any suggestions.....

Thank you

Originally Posted By: gsutterfield

Robert

This is not meant to be sarcastic so please don't take it that way ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

I suggest you should find the spell check button before proceeding any further in your career Thus your reports appear more professional

Good luck

Gary

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Robert,

Find and take a good training course. Although you have a good background, it sounds like it is more commercial oriented. Performing residential inspections is different. There are also some books that will help.

The Home Inspection Business from A to Z by Richard Colleti
Real Estate Home Inspection, Mastering the Profession by Russell W. Burgess
several different books by Carson Dunlop
The Home Inspectors Bible (available at amazon.com)

Most of these books will cover everything from start up to marketing to report writing and the inspection itself. The books are however only supplemental to good training.

And as Gary said, find the spell check button. This business is about building relationships and communicating effectively.

Robert

Another great idea ![icon_idea.gif](upload://6VKizmOm2U7YYmfXNtFW4XTwFVy.gif) Visit as many sites on this board as you can because they have much to offer relating to your concerns . Also use all the info already available under benefits , code of ethics , SOP , FREE library , etc.

icon_redface.gif

Thanks guy's;
The spelling is a problem I need to pay much more attention to. I very much appreciate your suggestions, especially the tip on the books.

Ps. I found the spell check button....is it suppose to smoke like that when I use it?

I welcome all criticism. I feel that's the best way to improve.

Bob

Robert

I've had mine repaired twice due to BURNOUT ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Originally Posted By: Douglas Plummer

Robert! NACHI is a great association to be part of. I myself, am a very new Canadian member . My understanding is that there is a “ride along” program that allows you to hook up with an experienced inspector . Correct me if I’m wrong. All the best in your new venture, you’ll find it exciting. DOUG

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Hello Robert,

1) Good training school.

2) Seminars

3) Chat groups

4) Read something about the biz every day.

Erol K. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Robert,

The following book has a wealth of information for prospective Home Inspectors. There is alot of pertinent information in this well written book. I highly recommend it.

http://www.carsondunlop.com/Inspectors/hrb.htm

![](upload://q5WHqEAm8ovec5GCCCfKelAznqm.gif)

I recommend you do some ride alongs with a professional Home Inspector also. You may have to travel out of your area because your local Inspectors in your area may not want to train their competition. Hands-on training is the best way to learn. It's also fun and you have a chance to gain a friend(s).

Good Luck

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Thank’s guy’s.

I have been looking at several different books and someone has started a great thread on the subject of what are your favorite 3 books.

I have noticed that there seems to be a great reluctancy to do ride alongs.

I have been trying with no great luck as of yet.

Any Suggestions.....

(I've spoken to other member who also have tried to get ride along situations and only one out of six were successful in doing so)

Bob in Pa.
(PS. I use spell check now...it was to hard to read my own typing)

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Robert,

As I stated on the previous post...You may have to travel out of your area because the local Inspectors in your area may not want to train their future competition.

Also, you may want to start a new topic in the "members only" forum. "Seeking Ride Along". I'm really surprised that no NACHI members are stepping up to the plate to offer you assistance on your request.

C'mon guys...where's the spirit.![](upload://1vLTT5nFinAwa8AYy8JfTPJ6bVH.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: ekartal

It’s frickin amazing isn’t it? I wish I had the experience to mentor a new guy. It would make me a better Inspector and person. There’s and old saying that you can’t keep it if you don’t give it away.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect