Hot water heater

Originally Posted By: gporter
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Inspected a 3800 sq ft home yesterday. It is a year old. It was a 1 year warranty inspection. It had 2 water heaters with over 50 gallon tanks. It was very slow to heat the water. I would say it took about 90 seconds for it even to get warm. The builder told them it was because of the distance it had to travel. Is this true. The tanks were in the garage.

Originally Posted By: rcallis

Gary

This is true, it doesn’t matter how much hot water you have in storage it still must get from Point"A" to Point “B” thru the pipe. Some type of in-line heater or booster may help.

Reggie

Originally Posted By: bking

other info needed, would be water pressure, 1 or 2 story home and temperature of hot water in tank?

My master bath is about 75 feet from the water heater, I have a well that cycles from 50 psi to 65psi, one level and it takes four minutes to get hot water from the sink. It is faster if the shower is on.

I have the temperature adjustment set to the upper level of the typical range. I have a hot water recirc. pump but only have it set for one short cycle in the am. I added an under counter water heater at the kitchen and one sink in the bath.

The builder is probably right on that one.

Originally Posted By: dspencer

The standing water in pipe has to be replaced by the water in the heater when the water is turned on…to speed it up one can change the flow rate of the faucet diffuser, but it will no longer be a water saver…but is it anyway with a run that long.

Originally Posted By: gporter

Thanks

Originally Posted By: bemelander

Gary,

I did an inspection where there was a small pump under the sink. When you want hot water you turn it on and it recirculates the water back through the cold water line. When it senses hot water it shuts off.

Result is you still have to wait but you waste no water, but you do use electricity. Not sure what the dollar savings is.

Bill

Originally Posted By: ldavidson

Best way to get hot water in that far away bathroom is to install a return line from the water heater to the last fixture.

Originally Posted By: rmoore5

A small 10 to 15 gal water heater can be installed in that bathroom, In the closet or under the sink and it will provide water to the bathroom till the larger heater catchs up. of course it would use more electricity, not sure on the savings aspect. I have seen this in larger homes, and commercial applications…

Just my $ .02

thanks, RM

www.prohomechek.com