Hot water question for one of you pros.

Originally Posted By: awatson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Inspected a house today with the breaker switch thrown off on the hot water heat. During the inspection, I threw it on to see if I could get some warm water. Water supply shut down.

Turned breaker back off and water flowed again.

Wasn’t exactly sure what was going on, so I just referred it all to a licensed plumber.

I would like to call the client/agent back before monday and explain the problem in more detail if possible.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: tallen

icon_confused.gif icon_confused.gif I might be crazy but, the only way I can think of a breaker shutting off the water supply is if it goes to the well pump. Of course that would be turning the breaker off and not on as you did. So ya got me.

Check it out an answer with no answer isnt this fun.

P.S I do not turn on anything that is turned off cuz' I have no idea why it is off. MO

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: jpeck

I agree with Todd, never turn on a breaker which is ‘off’. You have no idea what might happen, not the least of which is ending up either burning the house down, or, worse, killing someone.

That said, I also must admit that I've turned a few on myself, not many, but a few, even though I know better.

Now, back to the 'water on with water heater breaker off and water off with water heater breaker on' question: Was the house on well water? If yes, then Todd is likely correct.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

jerry,

and if not icon_question.gif

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: awatson

Issue #1: Turning on breakers. I know this was discussed somewhere else recently, so I don’t want to revisit in detail, but what is the solution then? Do I casually note a breaker in the off position on the report and Ms. Smith passes over it and flips it when see moves in only to burn the house up? Do I recommend a licensed electrician, which is going to piss everyone off when there’s nothing wrong? Do I ask the buyers agent to call the listing agent for further details? If I left this open, the buyer would have most likely moved in assuming everything was cool only to find out there may be major electrical issues. I don’t know - every solution just leaves a bad feeling in my gut.

Issue #2: The Problem I think you guys are getting close here. I left out some info that is probably crucial. The house is on public water. However, there is a well that in the back of the house. Upon inspection, the pump, switch and piping they were all fairly new. So, the house had not been on public for long. And, there was no breaker for the pump (as I remember). So, could this pump and HW heater be wired together!?! In series?!? There were no double tapped circuits. Although, I still don't see how that could affect flow. So confused.

After this and other issues with the house, I should have provided the client a one sentenced inspection report: RUN LIKE HELL AWAY FROM THIS HOUSE.

Ok , we are getting closer but, the only way(well not the only way)unless my brain has quit for today(quite possible) for a breaker being turned on to shut off the water would be a solenoid valve in the supply line “closing” when the circuit is energized. However you said the house is on PUBLIC water so, here we are again an answer with no answer. icon_confused.gif icon_confused.gif I love rainy Saturdays

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Todd,

IF NOT ... ?

I was still trying to dial 1-800-GHOSTBUSTERS, but their line was busy.

Okay, now with that additional information ...

Are you sure you were not turning that breaker OFF? That could indicate the water was still from the pump (which would account for the new pump equipment). Why replace the pump equipment if the house was going to be on city water soon? Or already on city water, unless you were planning on leaving it on the well water to save water costs.

Was the house vacant? If so, the seller may have had the city water turned off (or the city may have turned it off ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) ), then have switched back to the well while it was being sold.

All this assuming that the breaker was 'on' and you turned it 'off'.

Otherwise (meaning you were really turning the breaker 'on') ... I still have not been able to reach Ghostbusters, so I do not have an answer yet.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Who ya’ gona call icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005