How often are buyers present atr inspection?

Originally Posted By: bob haller
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

My realtor said in no uncertain terms I couldnt be at the inspection, I am the seller. Just yesterday I spoke with the new owner of the house next door, she just moved in and reported her seller was present for the inspection.

I am wondering whts typical for the industry?

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Sometimes the sellers are present at the home, most times they are not. Almost never do they tag along on an inspection.

Inspectors appreciate it when sellers do not participate in an inspection, at least I do.
Occasionally though, an inspector will, after the inspection is over, ask a few questions about certain items.

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: syared

It generally works better if the seller isn’t there, buyers feel much more comfortable being in the house without seller being around. And the sellers should make the situation the best for the buyers, after all the buyers haven’t purchased the property yet.

Sometimes the sellers at the inspection works well if I have questions about items or dates of installation, etc.

Sometimes the sellers get in the way by trying to offer too much information and buyers quickly get tired of the tag-along seller.

Then there are the times when the seller is there and we ask them questions and they realize that improvements they personally made and are proud of weren't necessarily done correctly and need repair.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

You shouldn’t be there during the inspection. It is the buyers time to learn about their new home and all you’ll do is make them feel uneasy.

I didn't go near my house while the inspector was there!

Originally Posted By: bob haller

My interest was the first home inspector noted the dishwasher didnt work, he had set it to delayed start, this and other issues like a leaky hot water tank gas valve that didnt leak when the plumber came, I had him change it anyway, since the tank was new and GE had overnighted the replacement valve… The red tag the inspector placed on the tank was what the buyer said convinced them to back out. Now wether the buyer was honest who knows but I am a hands on kinda guy.

Feel like I need to be there in lurk mode for the next inspection, to prevent things like the dishwasher kind...

Originally Posted By: rkulla

I’ve been at inspections that the homeowner showed up at just as we finished up. If you’re there & asked questions about certain things you will be on the spot to answer them. Also, “anything” you say may turn the buyer off. I have had buyers want to back out because a burner on the stove didn’t light. You just never know!! I personally like it when sellers show up at the end. There a great source of information for us. icon_wink.gif

All the previous post's are right on the money.

--
Rex Kulla
Custom Home Inspections
Maple Grove, MN
(612) 799-3093

Originally Posted By: bsmith

Jim-

My idea of an “ideal” inspection is to have the seller there at the beginning. I like to talk to them and get a “House History” (it’s also a marketing tool). Then I like for them to stay out of the way but be available for any questions i or the buyer might have.

Bill Smith

www.SmithHomeInspection.com

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” A. Einstien

Originally Posted By: Rick Hurst

Most listing agents don’t want their sellers home during the inspection.

The reason is anything that the seller hears is wrong with the house is then required to go on the sellers disclosure statement if the deal goes sour.

I personally don't like the seller to be there during the inspection. Every comment you make to your client the seller interrupts and says its been that way since we moved in and hasn't been a problem.

Maybe just not yet I say.

Rick

--
Rick Hurst
Home Works Inspections
Rowlett, Texas (Dallas)

Originally Posted By: dvalley

I refuse to walk through the house with the seller on my a$$. It’s happened several times and I politely ask the Selling Agent to kindly tell the Seller to go elsewhere until the inspection is complete.

As stated by several inspectors...Sellers can give a lot of pertinent information pertaining to the house. I always manage to arrive a half hour early at every home inspection in order to meet the Sellers. I ring the doorbell and introduce myself to the Sellers and inform them that I will be inspecting the exterior and will not be entering the house until the appointed time. I then ask them if they don?t mind answering a few questions before I get started. They always oblige.

I ask about the age of roof, any upgrades to the house since they lived there, any leaks that I should be aware of, etc, etc.
That?s the last time I want to see any Seller on my inspections.
![](upload://aWTRUraNtQ2T2bkVBw0PHLo76ZQ.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Bob -

You're the owner, but you're not the client. The buyer is paying for our opinion, our expertise and our education. You are not entitled to any of that unless the buyer (our client) chooses to share it with you. Some buyers get along well with the seller - many want to spend private time with their inspector asking questions, consulting on repair versus replace issues, etc and don't want their privacy violated by a realtor or seller.

Many sellers get defensive when we start running into things that work but are installed wrong or may have a history of problems and we start telling these things to our clients. Then sometimes a overbearing or know-it-all seller will start to get "testy" or rude and we have to take control of the inspection - and politely (or not) get them out of our way so we can do our job.

Originally Posted By: evandeven

Bob,

As the owner of the house, you have the right to be there. You also have the legal right to toss the inspector out of your home if he is breaking things or for any other reason.

I prefer the Buyer and Seller at the inspection. Sellers are a wealth of information whether they know it or not. I ask numerous questions. Some are for information purposes. Others are to try and figure out what type of homeowner I am dealing with. An honest type or someone who is going to try and hide things from me.

I get a lot of business from Sellers. When they see what I do, the way I do it, and the fact that I explain and show them all of the defects, they want that same service for the home they are purchasing.

--
Eric Van De Ven
Owner/Inspector
Magnum Inspections Inc.
I get paid to be suspicious when there is nothing to be suspicious about!
www.magnuminspections.com

Originally Posted By: gbell

Ditto Eric

I get a lot of my work from sellers. I think the inspection we provide is one of our best marketing tools.

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: mzwerin

bsmith wrote:
My idea of an "ideal" inspection is to have the seller there at the beginning. I like to talk to them and get a "House History" (it's also a marketing tool). Then I like for them to stay out of the way but be available for any questions i or the buyer might have.

It's great to get a rapport going w/ the seller -- nice to get their business on the home they are moving to. I also like to get the "House History".

And, if anyone "Tags-along", they're asked [nicely at first] to go somewhere else... Often times, with a house full of realtors, it is good to have the client or the seller or anyone keep the realtors occupied while we go about doing our business. Then chat later.

. The seller was anal retentive and followed us everywhere and kept trying to interject his comments or thoughts into my consultation with the buyer.

Finally I had to stop the show and politely tell my buyer that we had quoted him a SET FEE to inspect the house, and that FEE did not include ME arguing with the seller or trying to justify every comment to the guy. I told my buyer that if the seller was going to stay we would have to increase his fee by $150 for the aggravation - AND - come back another day because the sellers antics were slowing us down too much to finish this inspection and get to my next one on time.

I started packing and they started yelling at each other. Then it escalated to fisticuffs. The buyer obviously walked - What a freak show.

After that, the story about the A$$hole seller made the rounds and the listing agent could not get a contract on the house - the other agents didn't wanta waste time on a knothead..

Bill Smith

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” A. Einstien

to politely ask that the seller not be present; or insist that the seller be gone (the same as during a showing). The seller has the right (since its house) to say HELL NO. The buyer then has the right to move on to another house. Many buyers get nervous with a seller following them and their inspector around - some buyers don’t mind it at all. Its their choice.

Personally, if I had a seller insist on being there I'd immediately become suspicious that he was trying to hide something.

The seller and listing agent don't welcome the buyer to sit in on their discussions on how much to ask for the house, etc. Turnabout is fair.

These are just my opinions after 24 years of inspecting and having a graduate degree in real estate to tell me what a buyer and seller can do.

The most important thing to remember ALWAYS - is that the inspection day is the BUYERS DAY. They're paying for this education -NOT the seller.

Dan – I think we may be talking about the same thing but in different terms. I wouldn’t want the seller to follow me around and intrude on discussions between me and the buyer. That would be an invasion of the buyer’s privacy. However, it is their home and they have every right to be in it. I wouldn’t want two (or more) strangers poking through every part of my home without me being somewhere nearby. I always try to explain the HI process to sellers - “I’ll be looking at alot of things during the inspection, in closets, inside the dishwasher, ect” but I won’t touch or move any of your personal possesions". I think this helps relax them and they feel more comfortable leaving us alone. I always have my post-inspection discussion outside the home where there are no sellers and realtors present.

Bill Smith

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Quote:
I wouldn't want two (or more) strangers poking through every part of my home without me being somewhere nearby.

Well, my feeling is?.If the Seller wants to sell their house bad enough to a complete stranger, the inspector should have every right to poke and prod wherever he wants without the Seller being there. My clients need their space when making a decision on buying that house.

I?ve ran into too many situations in the past where the Seller tagged along and refused to keep his/her mouth shut. They just got in my way and yapped about everything?.Ohh don?t touch that... that was just replaced you don?t have to test it... why do you have to open that... those are fine- I just had them installed... go in this room first... you?re making holes in my sill... that?s not rotted-it?s just a little water damage... that was like that since I purchased the house.

Please?.GO AWAY.![](upload://mYogEyThjOhgZmSbzFdz5VGaGOh.gif)
No Seller will follow me around?..PERIOD.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: rwashington

No seller will follow me around period & no seller’s home will be left without business cards and brochures period…

Richard W Washington

www.rwhomeinspections.com

Once again I think we are talking about basically the same thing. I don’t

want sellers (or anything else) up my backside. I guess that’s one of the many reasons why I don’t wear thongs. I agree that sellers should not intrude on conversations between HIs and our clients, but we don’t have the right to insist that they leave they own homes. That’s just my opinion. I’m fairly flexible in that regard though I am completely rigid on the thong issue.

Bill Smith