How to identify a Fused Neutral Panel

This is my first post and maybe i put it in the wrong?? Anyways, the picture below is from the How to Perform Residential Electrical Inspections Course. I don’t see the problem/difference.
Thx

The middle fuse makes the neutral (grounded) conductor fused. This is not allowed and is not safe. If the circuit is overloaded and the neutral conductor fuse blows before its hot (ungrounded) conductor fuse, you’ll end up with a circuit that no longer works but still has an ungrounded conductor that is energized. This creates a dangerous precedent for anyone that attempts to work on the what appears to be a “de-energized” circuit but in fact has an energized ungrounded conductor (its fuse did not blow). Anyone that touches the ungrounded conductor of this circuit can get electrocuted. Hope that makes sense.

2 Likes

I agree with Simon this can be dangerous and is not permitted by the NEC. You could install a fuse blank.

1 Like

Makes perfect since now. It was had to see the configuration in the picture. Thank you.

This is a three phase disconnect with a single phase service. Which throws this off. Learn the difference in types of panels.

Bottom neutral wrong color? Correct size?
I would always go back to the main panel/main sub-panel to see how it is really wired. People do crazy stuff out there. You could have L1 and L3 on the same phase making the neutral on L2 the wrong size. But likely this is an HVAC Disconnect. Those are the guys that have these wrong panels laying around.

2 Likes