How to Inspect for Moisture Intrusion Course

This photo shows stucco penetration by a copper pipe/hose bib. There is a gap where water can penetrate. Recommendation: Seal with silicone or polyethylene caulking.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Performed an inspection of my home. It is an 11 year old home. Everything is in pretty good shape with regard to moisture intrusion. The hose bib penetration through stucco is one small issue. See previous post in this thread. Also, when concrete walkways were installed around the sides and back of the house insufficient space was left underneath the weep screed. There are some areas of only 2" clearance.

This is an image of a window that was not properly sealed and without flashing. Mold and water damage is visible on the window and wall. This is a samples of poor window installation.

frozen fan motor and dirty enclosure in bathroom:(

another excellent review all encompassing companion to the mold inspection course I finished yesterday -Thanks Ben!!

hi

i am looking for moisture intrusions.

jamie

The mark on the bottom of concrete roof slab is a sign of failure of the waterproofing membrane on top of the roof slab. The mark is mold that formed while the room was closed up for a period of 10 days while the house owners were on holiday during the raining season.

This forum has added value to the course How to inspect for moisture instrusion. Thank you for your posts. They are very informative.

This basement foundation has moisture issues during sudden storms.

hello everyone

below is an air handling unit from a commercial inspection we did for a medical center. the unit itself preforms adequately though you can clearly see the disconnected duct work in at the top of the picture. this can lead to significant condensation build up especially in Florida’s humid climate.

I have read the article on moisture intrusion and find that moisture seems to be one of the most important aspects to be aware that can cause damage or defect to the structure. from mold and mildew to the hydrostatic pressures of ground water it is potentially one of the most destructive forces acting on most homes.

This chimney is improperly flashed. They used J flashing instead of step flashing which leads to raised shingles.

The article Moisture Meters for Inspectors was a good article to read if you are considering adding a moisture meter to your bag of tools as an inspector. It discusses the two different types of meters and the uses for each.

Here are two photographs of factors that can contribute to moisture in a home.

One picture of a sump pump pit without a sub pump. There has never been a pump in here for the lifetime of the home and has never needed it. The soil and elevation for the area of this home have never called for it’s use.

The other picture, ironically very near the sub pump pit, is a water puddle from the back up of plumbing connected to the utility sink.

photo 1 (8).JPG

photo 2 (8).JPG

These are my impressions as in regards to Inspecting Moisture. Not a full report.

The home I inspected has had recent plumbing issues in the basement that have been addressed and corrected. There are still residual moisture issues which can be taken care of with the temporary use of a dehumidifier.

The structure on a whole breathes very well. All exhaust fans terminate outside appropriately. The HVAC system operates effectively to maintain the proper humidity. There is no condensation on any windows. The attic is well ventilated with no signs of present or past moisture intrusion.

Assignment for further reading for this course

Inspecting a Foreclosed Home

Most bank owned homes are sold “as is” which limits your negotiating power BUT ammunition for negotiation is not the objective of a Home Inspection.

A inspection of a foreclosed home, in some ways, may be more important. Usually you are trying to get a “deal” with this type of sale. If there are hidden dangers you may be buying a liability instead of an investment if you do not have an inspection.

Hello All,
Here in Florida, leaded pipejack boots are used quite a bit. The one thing we consistently notice is that if the squirrels can get on the roof, they love to eat these things! One would think that after ingesting enough lead, which leads to brain damage, they would know better. Perhaps its the brain damage stopping them from knowing better!
At any rate, almost all of the damaged boots allow water in around the pipe, which in turns causes water damage to the roof sheathing, and if it goes on long enough, to the interior walls and adjacent ceilings. In time this damage becomes visible on the inside of the home.
We always advise to trim to at least 10 ft between trees or bushes and the house and roof. Squirrels will then usually stay off the roof.
Be safe!
Dennis Mather
PRO 1 Home Inspection

Hello All!
I again inspected my own home for this report.
The home is only one year old, so not many issues. However, I did just have gutters installed on the house, and as yet have not installed the splash blocks. We just had a LOT of rain over the last week or so, and I can see that the gutters helped drain the water away much better, and I am going out soon to purchase the splash blocks for the downspouts.
The other thing I noticed is that although I have good drainage around the house, it is not always possible to achieve the 6" per 10’ rule in grading, simply due to the design of the landscaping and sidewalks. I notice this in most other homes as well. Which brings a question to mind that I have been contemplating (complaining!) about for a long time: Why do builders not take the time to orient the house on the lot for best drainage, as well as best sun and wind exposure? Most homes would benefit greatly from this one simple item. Our design of subdivisions and home sites needs to adapt to the lessons we have learned along the way, instead of following the same guidelines we have used for years based on curb appeal and sales.
Just my rant after looking at my own home.
Guess I need to build my own again.
Stay safe!
Dennis Mather
PRO 1 Home Inspection

Hello all!
I just read the short course on “Hot water recirculation systems” for this course, simply because it interests me and I want to install one.
The interesting fact I learned is this:

"According to statistics from the U.S. Department of Energy and the U.S. Census Bureau, between 400 billion and 1.3 trillion gallons of water (or close to 2 million Olympic-sized swimming pools) are wasted nationally by households per year while waiting for water to heat up. "

This is an eye opener! With California in a severe drought, and all the related issues with the shortage of water throughout the world, I would think that this should be a part of every home design from here on out.
Perhaps its a good thing to look into, especially if you live and/or work in California.
Stay safe!
Dennis Mather
PRO1 Home Inspection

With the inspection I found a lot of places without calk and no flashing at window and door. The gutter slope is less that 5% in angle so the water go back to the roof.