How to Inspect for Moisture Intrusion Course

For this class I inspected the apartment building where I live. There are numerous issues with the gutter system not discharging away from the foundation. The roof is only a year or two old and this issue should have been addressed during installation. The basement shows signs of water damage: almost all the wood work touches the concrete slab and there is evidence of rot and possibly mold. As an older building there is no building envelope. The windows are drafty and interior moisture vents naturally for the most part. The bathroom however does not have spot ventilation and requires a window to be opened to vent humidity. Since it is not practical to open a window in the winter, the pain is beginning to peel on the walls and roof and cracks have been opening up in the plaster of the years. A few small and inexpensive repairs could resolve most of these moisture related issues.

Hello there,

I have here photo from the attic. The exterior flashing had dried out/cracking caulking, and water had entered causing this, along with some wet insulation.
Have a wonderful day everybody.Attic moisture.jpg

32" of overhang is great, but missing fascia drives a lot of water into the wrong places.

Starting my moisture intrusion course

Hi there again,
Here is a report of a '92 bungalow, that was recently renovated, however, a few things to replace/repair
Thank you

Hi there,

There are several ways to save money and energy for your home. It doesn’t cost much either. One way is installing a ceiling fan rather than an A/C.
Replace incandescent lights with LED of CFL.
By using electronics and appliances responsibly.
Laundry during non peak hours.

Thank you and have a nice day

For this course I inspected a 1920’s brick house with poured concrete basement. Three sides of the house had been waterproofed from the outside with a dimpled plastic membrane and asphalt coating. The remaining side of the basement did have effloresence but no spalding at this time.
Moisture evidence was also present in the basement floor as this most certainly would not have a vapor barrier underneath and thereby conducts considerable moisture from the surrounding clay through capilliary action.

For the moisture intrusion course, I also read the *Efflorescence *article detailing causes, potential hazards, and how to detect, differentiate from mold, and prevent.
It was a useful read.

This gutter down spout is draining directly on to the foundation. It needs to drain 2’ from the homes foundation. Repair is recommended.

Moisture intrusion inspection

Roof vent has roof cement used to seal a leak. Repair suggested.

Gutters have a lot of asphalt shingle granules in them. This shows that the shingles are losing effectiveness.

Shrubs are against the house in front of the windows. Could not get to the windows to inspect. Foliage has potential to create moisture issues.

Downspouts are all draining to close to the foundation. They need to drain at least 24" from the foundation.

Southwest corner of the sub-basement has a sump pump that is full of water. It drained multiple time during inspection. This shows signs of severe moisture intrusion.

Article on Acid Rain and inspectors

Acid rain is mainly produced from the burning of fossil fuels and can be a detriment to building materials. Areas with more factories are more susceptible, however weather patters can carry. Some building materials such as aluminum, stainless steel, and granite are not affected by acid rain.

it worked well

The online class is good. Makes you think a lot of what you are learning about. recommend the use of this to anyone. did learn a lot from this

This is what happens when water penetrates a wall and goes unnoticed. A piece of furniture was moved and this mold was found behind it.

This is a dryer vent on the side of a home. As you can see there is a large gap between the brick and the vent. It is not installed properly allowing for water to enter the home.

I inspected my home for any moisture intrusion. I found some areas that had been wet prior to the roof being repaired. All areas are dry and there are no new signs of moisture intrusion.

Starting Moisture class…

Great course on moisture intrusion. Living and soon to be inspecting in Florida, this is a very relevant course. Attached is an image of an exterior stucco wall that has potentially been damaged with irrigation overspray. Also appears to be hard water damage as well. Also noted is the inadequate exposure to the foundation. Landscape is against the siding. Thanks!

According to the homeowner, water has been entering her basement for years. Looking at the slope of the ground outside the wall in this picture, its slope is toward the outside wall.