How to Inspect for Moisture Intrusion Course

Reviewed article on Basic Waterproofing for Basements. Very informative.

Ben,
This a common problem in older bathrooms, no exhaust fan I would recommend a fan be installed that exhausts to the outside, through a roof vent.

Thanks, Matt

I inspected the basement for moisture intrusion and found it very helpful especially the A/C floor drain that has water corrosion arou d it that will be remedied soon.

Hello Everyone,
The Picture submitted shows the repair to a bathroom that had a Plastic Shower surround installed over an opening where a window had once been?!:(!? without the window opening ever having been closed…not to worry hole was covered by new vinyl siding that was installed on the exterior and the
foam insulation board was the “interior” view from bathroom. Framing installed insulation vapor barrier, Cement board,:wink: new Tile. Much better now.

Have a Great Day!
Sharon
Nicholson Pena LLC

Visual Inspection of House for moisture Intrusion
4-25-15
Inspection of House Reveals

Drip edge missing on rake edge. Roof and gutters in good condition working properly.
Paint peeling on Fascia. Reseal wood with exterior Paint
Paint peeling on door jams. reseal wood with exterior paint.
Ground cover too high on foundation- remove to allow 6" below Brick and or Vinyl sloping away from building with a 6" slope for first 10 feet.
No exhaust fan in Bathroom- Install and vent to exterior of building
Chase in attic that serves piping open to basement- should be air sealed and insulated.
No signs of water damage in House no active leaks found in any observed pipe or fixture hose or faucet. Pipes are readily available in Laundry room in basement all are in good condition with visual inspection. Attic venting good for area served.
Window seals are in good condition inside and out.
Backup Sump Pump is available.
Efflorescence found on wall where water service enters building in basement.
remove soil and seal penetration from exterior of foundation wall .
Thanks
Have a great Day
:smiley:

Visual Inspection of House for moisture Intrusion
4-25-15
Inspection of House Reveals

Drip edge missing on rake edge. Roof and gutters in good condition working properly.
Paint peeling on Fascia. Reseal wood with exterior Paint
Paint peeling on door jams. reseal wood with exterior paint.
Ground cover too high on foundation- remove to allow 6" below Brick and or Vinyl sloping away from building with a 6" slope for first 10 feet.
No exhaust fan in Bathroom- Install and vent to exterior of building
Chase in attic that serves piping open to basement- should be air sealed and insulated.
No signs of water damage in House no active leaks found in any observed pipe or fixture hose or faucet. Pipes are readily available in Laundry room in basement all are in good condition with visual inspection. Attic venting good for area served.
Window seals are in good condition inside and out.
Backup Sump Pump is available.
Efflorescence found on wall where water service enters building in basement.
remove soil and seal penetration from exterior of foundation wall .
Thanks
Have a great Day
:smiley:

Reading in the library … XRF use to identify Chinese Drywall problem
is not all inclusive. Can be helpful. Should be used in conjunction with other methods
before making a definitive call on the presence of Dangerous drywall in a building.
Visual inspection is one way to know. XRF is non invasive not a bad start to try to determine.

A water stain in the middle of an otherwise dry basement floor. The source was a defective bath tub drain that had a slow drip leak when it was filled with a small amount of water.

DSCF1203 (640x480).jpg

Hi fellow students:
I have taken a couple picture of pictures of a vertical corner trim board that intersects 2 different materials, faux stone and the vinyl J channel. The board itself is PVC and basically water, insect and rot proof. The bevel joint is a good example of how splice exterior trim pieces.
My concern is that the length of the corner is only 9’ yet the butted two pieces together to make up the 9", because PVC trim does come in longer pieces.
That piece should have been one piece just like the opposite side of that garage.

Nat

interior basement wall constructed w

http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=89936&stc=1&d=1429999487

ithout vapor barrier

Moisture Intrusion

Hi all:
I saw this on a faux stone veneer and it looked rather odd. It is a depression backwards of the stone to compensate for some unknown reason. Certainly a place where wind driven rain and moisture could penetrate.
With this type of veneer there is supposed to be irregularities in the surface but this seemed excessive.
Nat

Here is the corner of a house’s 3 season room. I believe this is clear moisture intrusion, the majority of the water is coming in through the top and gravity is bring the moisture down. I have not verified this with a moisture sensor. I would recommend an investment in caulking.

FLIR0032.jpg

DSC00701.JPG

This attic photo indicates the A/C duct joint is defective. .The open joint is allowing hot attic and outside air to enter the interior of the dwelling through the cold air supply duct

Hello,

Here is staining from a leaking gutter that penetrated the home through a service line behind the furnace. The area was treated as mould and then the area was resealed. Connection for the gutter had to be replaced.

Jamie Ferguson

Attached are two photos of the raingutter and downspout of an older home. You will notice that the gutter is clogged with debris and that the downspout is damaged. Obviously this will cause problems with water collection and pooling around the house foundation. Recommended repair or replacement as necessary.

Additional reading assignment: Moisture Meters
This was a brief article written to provide basic information on the two types and uses of moisture meters. This item, being an essential part of any inspectors tool kit, provides confirmation of moisture intrusion into building materials. One recent addition that I have noticed to this category is smart phone friendly models of moisture meters. They interface with your smart phone through a bluetooth connection and the proprietary app to provide the readout information, this provides us with one more way to save the displayed information and include it in the customers inspection report.

The photo attached depicts and area were water tends to beat on the facia board and then with the intense sun the board it shedding its paint and rotted out.

Picture of Electrical Outlet box interior after caulking to drywall and the wire entry
port…moisture control/ air seal close up. done while updating or replacing electric outlets and switches.

Rotted subfloor under the master bathroom. Apparently from a past or present leak. Dry at time of inspection.

Hello There! Just wanted to share this image of a bathroom ceiling vent. There is a little bit of moisture around the vent. It may need of repair. Thanks again!