How to Inspect for Moisture Intrusion Course

Moisture meters are a good tool for home inspectors to use. Moisture meters test the moisture content within certain materials such as drywall, framing, roofing etc. Determining the moisture content can let the potential buyer know of potential past or ongoing moisture issues within the home.

This picture was taken on an inspection in the crawl space of the house. These are indications of moisture from above making its way through the floor. I put a moisture meter on it, which confirmed it was wet. Recommended evaluation by a qualified plumber or contractor.

I have been seeing more and more of theses durable,water proof, and reinforced crawlspace vapor barriers lately. Especially on homes where the crawl-spaces have bee mitigated. There material is offered in six mill all the way up to twenty mill. It has a multilayer polyethylene configuration with a reinforced polyester scrim. Easy material to crawl on and typically when you see this it means it has been professionally installed.

I have been seeing more and more of theses durable,water proof, and reinforced crawlspace vapor barriers lately. Especially on homes where the crawl-spaces have bee mitigated. There material is offered in six mill all the way up to twenty mill. It has a multilayer polyethylene configuration with a reinforced polyester scrim. Easy material to crawl on and typically when you see this it means it has been professionally installed.

I read the article “Moisture Meters for Inspctors.” What I learned is how the meters work. The probe type meters measure the electrical conductivity of the area you are probing to get measurements. The search mode type measures the amplitude of returning waves that will diminish when water is present. Metal can throw off the readings if it is within the measurement range of the meters as well.

Today i read an article on ceiling fans. Her is an important safety concern when inspecting ceiling fans. Make sure there is inadequate floor to ceiling blade clearance. The fan blades should not be closer than 7 feet from the floor, this will help prevent any human contact with the blades. Downward air movement is maximized when the fan blades are around 8 or 9 feet from the floor. The ceiling fan blades should also be at least 18 inches from walls. For commercial ceiling fans, the fan blades should not be closer than 10 feet from the floor.

The crown or concrete cap on the top of this masonry chimney was old and had considerable cracking and chipping of the concrete. In addition there was no extension or drip edge out past the brick so mortar in between the brick and the brick themselves were damaged.

As all the parts of a home are integral one with another. Correct installation and industry best practices are essential to maintaining the overall water tight characteristics of those components. For example poor grading around the structure allows water to sit or pond against the foundation. This contributes to probable moisture intrusion and possible damage to the foundation.

This is a situation the water drainage problem is compounded by multiple factors. First, the downspout does not move the water away from the house. Second, the slope next to the downspout is also toward the house. And finally, the entire backyard had a slight negative slope toward the home. The recommendation was given to have the backyard regraded and a drain system installed to move the roof rainwater around the home to the front where it could properly drain.

The picture titled “Downspout Extensions” is a great illustration to add to your inspection report. This is often a point of confusion and question during the inspection. By adding this picture your customer can gain a better understanding of the importance of the downspout extension.

Flashing helps direct water where the roof and sidewalls meet. When flashing is not used water can seep into the walls causing mold problems. Flashing can be made of metal, plastic or composite materials. Metal flashing is the most durable and most expensive to use. Plastic flashing wears faster with direct sunlight.

Inspection & Writing Assignment: How to Inspect for Moisture Intrusion Course
David Wayne Schweppe II
January 24, 2018
This particular inspection and writing assignment left me with an abundance of photos, all lot of the signs of moisture intrusion where difficult to see. The photo I have provided is of a well differentiated stain on the ceiling that appeared in a Florida shortly after Hurricane Irma. Further investigation moisture intrusion proved difficult as attic access to this area was limited, however upon inspection of the roof directly above the stain, loose and missing asphalt shingle where present. Once the shingles where repaired no additional stains or other evidence of moisture intrusion has been noted.

This is an active water leak in a cold water line in the basement area.The home was not occupied at the time of the inspection and there was a large puddle of water on the floor needless to say the real estate agent was grateful for the inspection discovery.Repairs were made by a licensed plumber and re inspected before we left.

Research and writing assignment: How to Inspect for Moisture Intrusion Course
David Wayne Schweppe II
1/24/2018
I chose Fire Extinguisher Maintenance and Inspection by Nick Gromicko and Kenton Shepard as the article for this courses research and writing assignment. This article was useful in calling attention to the fact that fire extinguishers are only effective if the building occupants know where they are and how to use them properly. Since no one fire extinguisher can be safely and effectively used on every fire it important that residents be educated on fire safety and proper use.

The article I’m writing about is how moisture may enter a building. In the northern U.S. high humidity levels are more of a problem than dry climates. There are five major areas of a house where an inspector should check for moisture intrusion. Water damage can be caused by leaks, floods, overflowing water source, ice-dams, leaky appliances and water in the basements.

This is a photo of a basement window (inside) that appears to have some water intrusion at the bottom corners. This could be from poor flashing on the exterior or a lack of sealant being applied at the time of installation. I would recommend an assessment by qualified contractor.

I read the Guide to Engineered Wood Sheeting for inspectors. The article talks about what the Engineered Wood Association (formerly the APA) stamp means,and also the fact that they have standard requirements for dimensional stability, bond adhesion and structural strength.

Location is the laundry room. The door moulding next to the floor is fatter with missing paint indicating previous water contact. The condition must have been remediated by the home owner as no obvious leaks are present and the washing machine performs properly.

I picked an article on Tyvek housewrap which has become a popular alternative to building paper. Tyvek is a water and air barrier that allows water vapor inside walls to escape. There are several kinds of Tyvek wraps with different properties and purposes. Interestingly some wraps have to be installed in proper orientation and side, while others do not, this often leads to confusion among installers.

Cloths Closet Lighting is very helpful in a dark closet to help find items stored there.However the are minimum distance requirements for fire protection Surface-mounted fluorescent luminaries,Recessed incandescent,Recessed fluorescent,Surface-mounted fluorescent or led shall have 6 inches of clearance from any point of storage items or space. Surface-mounted incandescent or led with a completely enclosed light source shall have a 12inch clearance from storage space area.