"How to Inspect Manufactured and Mobile Homes" online course

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

This is a picture of the standard-set foundation that shows the concrete pad larger than the width of the support beam, the block piers and wood shims that were used for leveling. It also shows the tie-down strapping. The crawl space under this mobile home was clean, with minimum exposed insulation.

Research & Writing Assignment:

I viewed the roof photo of asphalt shingles with the gutters improperly discharging onto the roof. The first issue is that the end gap of the gutter on the dormer is missing allowing the rain water to discharge directly onto the shingles, thus allowing for localized shingle wear and increased potential for leakage at the edges of the dormer.

I attached a image of a typical mobile home door and what typically happens to mobile home doors. On older mobile homes, the cheaper made doors often warp and are damaged easily. The old jalousie windows often have damaged seals and can be a major source of air infiltration.

I chose the “Tie-Downs for Manufactured Homes” article. Some of the maintenance tips include checking the tie-downs for damage or corrosion and checking to ensure the tie-down is not loose. Check for local codes or ordinances to verify you have enough tie-downs. Check for manufacturer specifications to understand the amount of tension the tie-down should have.

My image is of a manufactured home that has defects present. Every manufactured home is required to have an approved foundation or skirting installed to protect the area under the home from damage, frost, and vermin entry. The skirting is to be made of an approved rigid material with an area permitting access to the space under the home.

Manufactured homes are made in a controlled environment with the structural components fixed to a chassis. Wheels, axles, and trailer hitches used for transporting the home to its destination can be removed from the chassis and the home used as a permanent or semi-permanent structure depending on the structural support components installed.

THis is an image of the ground under a manufactured home. The vapor barrier was observed to have staining and standing water. Based on the location, under the hall bathroom, further evaluation and repair by a licensed plumber is recommended.

Site preparation must be properly done to ensure comfort and correct functioning of the manufactured home. Some aspects of site preparation include leveling of the ground and clearing of vegetation and other debris. Proper grading and compacting of soil are very important as well.

Please note I am not anywhere near a manufactured home that I could personally photograph. I did borrow the photo from a local listing. In this picture you can see that the skirting is in good condition and does enclose the structure. It appears to be made of vinyl and matching covering is used on the front covered patio section. I cannot locate the access panel from this photo.

I read the 10 rentals tools everyone should know about article from the Home Depot. I have dug a lot of post holes in my life, and have never thought to purchase or rent an auger to do all the work for you. I did not go to the website to check pricing, but whatever the cost, it has to be worth it.

Many times during an inspection, an inspector can speculate as to why a certain item was done, or why a modification was attempted. We can usually tell if it was attempted by a professional or not. This particular modification was not attempted by a person with a gift for the trades.

The article I read ws entitled “Modular vs manufactured homes”. Many people do not know the difference. A modular home adheres to the same standards as a site built home.
A manufactured home only adheres to HUD standards. A modular home is a greater investment for the future, but a manufactured home may be an easier purchase for the present.

This image shows a pier under a manufactured home. The pier does not have the required concrete or hardwood cap in place. The image also shows the use of multiple 2x4 as blocking to make up the height they needed. These 2x4 are stacked far too high and are required to be either 1x8 or 2x8.

I read the consumer targeted article “choosing a manufactured home”. I learned that there are several things to consider when purchasing one. Where your home will be located is the most important of these considerations. Not only can the location of your home site determine the initial cost of set up, it can also have a long term effect on monthly spending if you are only leasing the land/site.

This picture is on a manufactured home. The roof had recently been shingled when the roofer installed the chimney roof boot he didn’t center chimney in opening. Now there is a clearance issue with chimney and roof sheathing on the top side. Also a potential leak on the bottom side of flashing where the roofer just pumped the opening full of sealant. The rusty cap on top indicates furnace needs to be serviced. sometimes one picture can tell a lot.

AFCI tester indicators are portable devices designed to test AFCI functionality. They create waveform patterns similar to those produced by actual arc faults, thereby causing working AFCIs to trip. AFCI indicators are considerably larger and more expensive than ground-fault circuit interrupter indicators and are of questionable effectiveness. For these reasons, they are not used as widely as GFCI indicators.

The crawlspace is in good condition, there doesn’t appear to be any defects. The mobile home does have tie downs, which will help in the event if a windy storm. The insulation is properly installed and there is a vapor barrier to help the crawlspace stay dry.

This essay is on air duct leaks inside of a crawlspace. The air duct that is leaking will eventually lead to moisture build up. This causes a moisture issue on the sub floor and/or floor joists of the mobile home.

Crawl space under a mobile home, the one in the picture is a standard set up. It has single block piers with wood shims.It also has six mill poly witch in some areas was shifted out of place in some areas.

Crawl space under a mobile home, the one in the picture is a standard set up. It has single block piers with wood shims.It also has six mill poly witch in some areas was shifted out of place in some areas.