"How to Inspect Manufactured and Mobile Homes" online course

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

The image posted is of the foundation of the manufactured home and the importance of making sure the proper skirting is around the perimeter and also tie downs were installed correctly with the ground anchor. There must also be a 5% slope from the foundation.

On this recent home inspection, the furnace was very dirty and needed a maintenance check. For this essay I wrote about how a professional should be brought in to professionally clean this furnace system and suggested maintenance of the furnace.

Research & Writing Assignment:

For this particular essay, I looked up screw jacks and how they can form plate bending over time. The picture illustrates of the plate starts to curve or warp over time from the amount of pressure put on to it.

What you see here is a photo of a shifted post on top of a concrete pier set on a concrete footing. I would recommend to my client to have a qualified professional review and repair as they see necessary.

Barn Inspection, while reading this I learned to look for some of the following hazards:excessive cobwebs on ceilings and walls, especially near light or heat sources, no lightning rods. Barns are susceptible to lightning strikes and subsequent fires as well.

This is a photo under a mobile home with a standard foundation. We can see the pier is leaning and should be corrected. We can also see strapping around the frame and it is secured to the anchor in the ground. We can also see the vent screens on the back and side of the home. We should have 8 screens on 3 sides of the skirting walls.

My research article is on Window Bars
Window bars or security bars are metal bars that are installed to prevent intruders from entering a building. As an unintended consequence, window bars can slow or prevent egress during an emergency. Roughly 25 people die or are injured annually in fires where escape is hindered by window bars. According to the National Fire Protection Agency, the number of deaths caused by fire related to security bars is on the rise due to increased fear of burglary, theft and/or physical attack presents a greater perceived risk than the threat of fire. According to the 2006 International Residential Code (IRC), basements and sleeping rooms should have at least one operable emergency escape and rescue opening. Windows that are equipped with bars and which are intended for emergency egress should have a quick-release mechanism installed. Unfortunately, many older homes had bars installed prior to 2006 and they are an accident waiting to happen.

A manufactured or mobile home is built to the Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards (HUD Code) and displays a red certification label on the exterior of each transportable section. Every home has a red and silver seal certifying that it was built in compliance with the federal code.

A manufactured or mobile home is built to the Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards (HUD Code) and displays a red certification label on the exterior of each transportable section. Every home has a red and silver seal certifying that it was built in compliance with the federal code.

The service disconnect for a manufactured or mobile home should be of single means and should be located in a readily accessible area. It should not be located in a bathroom. There should be a clear working area in front of the service panel at least 30 inches wide by 30 inches out in front, this is to allow for ample room to service the electrical panel.

The site on which a house of manufactured home is set should have a proper grade to allow water to flow away from foundation. The grade should be 6 inches of drop for the first 10 feet. This will allow the water to flow away from home.

During inspection, inspector captures a pier support for standard set foundation. Pier support was not inline with marriage line, nor was the foundation for pier support secure. Possible additional shimming and additional natural ground support is needed to achieve manufactures recommendations.

Looking at crawlspace construction, I see potential problems with stick built homes as well as with mobile/modular home construction. With modular home construction a potential problem is pier support.During inspection a inspector might capture a pier support for standard set foundation. If Pier support was not inline with marriage line, additional shimming and additional natural ground support is needed to achieve manufactures recommendations.

On this mobile home a complete rain water guttering and downspouts were installed to move the rain water away from the crawlspace. The crawlspace has 6 mil plastic sheeting under the entire area with the joints overlapped two feet and taped.

After viewing the research papers I found that any garage that is attached to the mobile home must not have any openings from a bedroom to the garage. Also the wall between the home and the garage shall have minimum 5/8" drywall installed on the wall.

The image posted is of the foundation of the manufactured home and the importance of making sure the proper skirting is around the perimeter and also tie downs were installed correctly with the ground anchor. There must also be a 5% slope from the foundation.

The front porch and ramp that have been added to this manufactured home should be checked to assure that it is a free-standing structure, with appropriate supports and no untreated wood within six inches of the ground. The skirting should be such as to prevent rodents from entering the area below the home.

In the article, “10 Easy Ways to Save Money & Energy in Your Home”, some good tips are given, such as: using ceiling fans and replacing dirty filters in the air handler; fixing leaking areas around doors and windows; and using a tankless water heater and LED light bulbs.

This picture is from an InterNACHI article. I was curious about mobile home tie down procedures and took this course as a means to understand its methods as well as how they are supported by pilings, blocks, etc. This course has some great info on that and many other aspects I was not aware of.

I chose Tie-Downs for Manufactured Homes by Nick Gromicko and Kenton Shepard for my essay. It provides very detailed information with respect to tie downs, anchors, hook up and tension devices used to prevent wind damage to manufactured mobile homes.