"How to Inspect Manufactured and Mobile Homes" online course

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

When conducting an inspection of a crawlspace, safety is the firs concern. You must wear full PPE consistent with the conditions and when you enter and make your way through, use your ears as well as your eyes to listen for any sounds that are not ordinary. In this photo, I was inspecting a crawlspace and when I got further into the space and made a turn into another section of the area, I could hear what sounded like water flowing. It wasn’t until I got closer that I finally saw what I have been hearing. In this case, a copper supply line formed a pinhole leak and water was spraying out. The splash and mist has caused moisture intrusion to surrounding floor joists and the subfloor. The finished flooring (solid Dade County Pine) was starting to warp and cup. So use all of your senses when conducting inspections.

Research & Writing Assignment:

Condensation leads to mold. When I conduct an inspection of a home. One of the things LI look for are any openings or gaps in the walls, ceilings and floors. Gaps like these will allow wall cavity and attic air to get pulled into the living spaces of the home and it can also allow conditioned air to get pulled into the attic and wall spaces. When this happens, you will not only lose efficiency in your HVAC system, but you will have a condition which will create moisture via condensation and resultant mold growth. So, I always recommend that any openings or gaps are sealed up and finished.

This Mobile Home has its chassis iron girders resting on concrete pier blocks that are anchored to a poured slab-on-grade cement pad. The skirting system consists of pre-formed decorative cement blocks that are removable, making it easy to access the crawl space which has a 2 foot clearance. The unit is anchored down with Miami-Dade hurricane approved metal tie downs since its located in a HVHZ.

The difference between Manufactured Homes and Mobile Homes

Modular Homes are constructed entirely in factories and are built under strict quality controlled supervision. After all the sections are finished they are transported to the site in segments where theyll be assembled once they all arrive.

Mobile Homes, sometimes referred to as Manufactured homes, are manufactured in sections like Modular homes but they conform to the building standards outlined by the Housing and Urban Development (HUD) codes.

This photograph shows the front and part of the left side of a mobile home. Several pieces of siding on the left side were loose, which could allow water intrusion and result in damage to the framing. It is recommended that this be corrected by a licensed professional as soon as possible. Several boards on the skirting around the front deck were loose. This could allow rodents and other pests to get under and possibly into the home. This condition should be corrected by a qualified licensed professional.

Fire safety is important in all homes, but is especially important in mobile homes. Due to the material and type of construction, mobile homes can go up very quickly once a fire starts. There are several things you can do to increase your chances of survival in a mobile home fire. 1. Plan and practice your escape from fire. This can reduce the likelihood of panic and fear if a fire does break out. 2. Plan your escape around your abilities. Know your abilities and limitations and work those into your plan. 3. Smoke alarms save lives. Make sure they function properly and are maintained. 5. If you smoke, smoke outside. This may sound foolish, but doing so will keep your home smelling fresher, will keep your family members healthier and will reduce the chance that an errant ember from your cigarette will cause damage. 6. Be kitchen-wise.This means monitoring what you have on the stove and keeping track of whats baking in the oven. Always use your cooktops vent fan while cooking. 7. Know your local emergency number (usually 911) and have it posted near the phone and on speed dial.

If a mobile home was built after June 15, 1976, it is required to meet all HUD requirements for construction and safety standards. The home build date and manufacturer can be found, along with other building certifications labels and information, on the data plate which is typically mounted near the main electrical panel. If the home was built after 1976, a HUD label should be applied to each individual section by the manufacturer.

This picture shows a manufactured home with an attached garage. The garage is constructed as self supporting structure on a separate foundation slab separated from the homes living space by a firewall and self closing 20 minute fire rated door.

The exposure of the underside of the manufactured home can cause a liteny of issues including pest intrusion and moisture intrusion. One inspection done on a church that had a primary care mobile home in the back had the wrap removed underneath and was filled with bird nests throughout.

In the image “bulge in the belly” shows the danger and signs of a leaky tub. Whether from a supply line or from water on the edge of the tub that’s unsealed, it shows the water causing a swell at the bottom sheeting.

Tie downs for Manufactured Homes are designed to stabilize them during high winds. Manufactured Homes are typically elevated and experience more uplift in heavy winds than site built homes. There are two types of tie downs, they are over-the-top and frame anchors. Most manufactured homes built today use frame anchors only.

One common defect I see in manufactured homes is the lack of underfloor ventilation. Some skirting I see in this area of the country is vinyl with perforated holes in sections but many have solid skirting with no vents cut in the material.

This essay concerns carpet in bathrooms. Seldom do I see existing homes with carpet in bathrooms but have seen several over the years. The main problem with carpet is moisture issues and indoor air quality issues associated with water and urine soaking into the carpet and padding.

In bedroom #3 the smoke detector was found hanging from the ceiling. The smoke detector was hardwired into the homes electrical system and had a battery backup. When tested the smoke detector did not function properly. It is recommended that the smoke detector be serviced by a licensed electrician. This is a safety issue and should be serviced immediately.

AFCI tester indicators (sometimes called AFCI testers) are portable devices designed to test AFCI functionality. They create waveform patterns similar to those produced by actual arc faults, thereby causing working AFCIs to trip. AFCI indicators are considerably larger and more expensive (by several hundred dollars) than ground-fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) indicators and are of questionable effectiveness. For these reasons, they are not used as widely as GFCI indicators.

Asphalt shingle roof shows signs of delamination. Delamination is separation of the surface layer of asphalt. also roof vetalation was blocked creating elevated tempature shorting the life span of shingles. Recommend a qualified roofing contractor evaluate and repair to prevent further deterioration that results in leaking and moisture intrusion.

My report is on modular versus manufactured homes. The key factors between modular and a manufactured home is that a modular homes are manufactured before is brought out to the site and placed on permanent foundation also they are treated just like it was built in the same manner as a regular Home.Versus a manufactured home is built on a frame, has it own wheels and its value normally depreciates where as a mobile modular home appreciates

This is a photo of a roof in need of repair.It also shows evidence of roof uplift or cupping.It also shows that the fascia is starting to rot and hang along with the need of being replaced all around the house itself.

I had to opportunity to read and do a little research on business and family dwelling foundation soils and their different types. Especially the soils in an area similar to Texas where the weather can be brutal. From the high heat tolerance. And the heavy rain and flooding seasons. It can take a toll on foundations due to the changes in erosion and soil movement.

This access to the connections was left open after plumbing upgrades. I recommend installing the missing insulation prior to covering the opening as it will help prevent the pipes from freezing and will not allow rodents and other insects to enter the vanity through this opening.