"How to Inspect Manufactured and Mobile Homes" online course

Research & Writing Assignment:

After viewing the picture labeled floor sheathing, I am reminded that the sheathing is only part of the floor diaphragm, but an important part. When one considers that the sheathing is the one thing that ties the entire system together, it’s proper installation becomes very important.

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

Here is an under floor and behind the skirting picture showing cross bracing and wiring that is not supported correctly. Notice no insulation or weather protection, being in a north east section of the USA this should have insulation and a vapor barrier.

modular home and manufactured home are not the same yet are thought to be the same. Mobile homes have a less stringent standards than modular and site-built homes and only need to confirm to HUD standards. Modular homes can be better built the a on site house and was found by FEMA to be so…

Hello everyone here we have a crawlspace under a mobile home that was inspected a few month ago. I noticed some insulation under the mobile home. Seems like someone worked on the plumbing and torn though the insulation but did not seal it back up.

So I read the article “Choosing a Manufactured Home” and one thing I failed to think of if the warranty for the home. I would like to see one because it could make a big difference where you put your manufactured home as it could void the warranty potentially. There will be more research on this subject from me that is for sure.

This is a picture of the data plate in a 2011 manufactured home. The home is 16 feet wide and 80 feet long. The home is standard set style installation on concrete blocks and is 36 inches above grade at it’s lowest point above grade. The home was level at the time of inspection. It is strapped to engineered screw type anchors with no corrosion or damage at the time of the inspection. The factory installed vapor barrier was intact at the time of inspection. The manufactured home wind zone is zone 1. The home was installed in a wind zone 2 area. Recommend further evaluation by a qualified structural engineer.

The cement siding on this home appeared to be installed incorrectly. Some of the boards were warped, cracked or not attached correctly to the house. It may require removal and installation to correct the problem. This could allow water to enter the wall structure.

I read thru the garage inspection article. This article explains the fundamentals of a garage and some of the defects a home inspector should look for. The roof trusses were not properly installed, were undersized and could have serious impact on the structure.

In here is a photo of some insulated sheathing in the crawlspace of a mobile home everything appears to be in good condition based on what is visible although I dont see any ventilation where a minimum of 8 vents is required.

The subject I chose to read up on was asbestos, and the related risks that go with it. Inhaling too much of it can cause a form of lung cancer called mesothelioma. Asbestos was banned in 1977 so it is typically only found in older houses.

This photo shows the back side of a tiny house construction with a metal roof system. The metal does not have a proper drip flashing installed to keep water from intruding into the wall. The roofing was not of the proper length as well which caused the rafters to become moldy

Between the years of 1965 and 1973, aluminum wiring was prevalent due to higher costs of copper to be used in households. Aluminum has several qualities that make it unsuitable over copper. Greater resistance, mailability and thermal expansion/contraction among them. Electrical systems in homes with aluminum wiring should be deferred to a qualified electrician for further evaluation. Some methods of rectifying the problem include rewiring the home or the application of copalum clips.

This is a picture of several different things. One it shows the height and arrangement of the blocks used as pillers/support. It shows the tie down method used. It also shows a very concerning sink hole that opened under on of the supports.

There are certain minimum requirements that should be met when securing you new home. It must be anchored to the ground according to the manufactures instructions. Once secured the crawl space must be enclosed in an approved manor and with approved enclosure.

In this image of the vapor barrier below the mobile home we have a defect. The vapor barrier does not overlap 8 inches between sections and soil was exposed as a result. Moisture from the ground is now able to penetrate the floor structure below. The insulation bag below this mobile home was also compromised due to rodent activity and so damage from moisture intrusion is even greater.

In the article “Inspecting Log Homes” I found that there are certain building characteristics to look for when evaluating log homes in order to deliver a competent inspection. Some unfamiliar things to look for include intentional space above windows to account for settlement as logs dry, wing piles that may indicate insect activity, and partition walls that may not have been constructed appropriately. Overall the article really brings home the point of understanding the type of logs used and how it will effect the structure over time.

Thought this was pretty cool. There is actually a fireplace in this manufactured home. I’m wondering what the requirements on manufactured homes with fireplaces. I don’t think I saw anything in this course about fireplaces in manufactured home. My guess is that it would be very similar to IRC code.

Attached a date plate I found inspecting a manufactured home last week. The information I obtained was that Palm Harbor Homes, Inc. was the manufacturing plant. It was manufactured January 14th, 1983 and its unit model is 867. Apparently I have a 5 digits serial number plus two letters but should be six.

Only one anchor was visible in the craw space area at the time of the inspection. Proper anchoring is necessary to prevent unwanted movement of the home when high winds are present. A qualified contractor that is familiar with the proper anchoring of mobil homes should further evaluate and install anchoring as needed.

There are many shapes and sises available when considering a manufactured home. Some homes have features that can be customized to meet a home buyers needs.It is good to know that although manufactured homes are shipped in sections when the y are new, it is not common to move a home after it has been constructed on site.