"How to Inspect Manufactured and Mobile Homes" online course

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

While doing the inspection of the mobile home, there where several soft spots in the wet areas. Upon inspecting the crawlspace of the mobile home, it was evident that there had been water damage. Recommend further evaluation by a licensed plumber.

Research & Writing Assignment:

Many if not most mobile and manufactured homes will consist of well water and septic systems. Many of the septic systems will also have a absorption drain field and a leach trench. These consist of a perforated pipe that will be 2-5 inches deep, and surrounded by rocks that allow waste to be absorbed back into the ground.

Manufactured housing can be quite effective but does have numerous points of safety that must be strictly adhered to. One of these being anchors and tie downs. Anchors of different varieties must be driven into the ground per the manufactures instructions. Tie downs and anchors of all types, should be manufactured of materials resistant to the elements. These tie downs must be adjustable.

Crawl Spaces
Nasty as they can be, crawlspaces should be inspected. But, not without suitable PPE. A good flashlight is also a must. Multiple (potential) hazards exist in a crawl space, such as animals (dead or alive). Insects, sewage or water leaks, open electrical connections and many others. While watching out for ones safety don’t forget to inspect all the things you crawled down there to inspect in the first place!

Minimum requirements for stairs with guard rails are a concern with risers that are more than 30" above grade. Any stairway with more than four steps should have a guard rail for safety. Also make sure the footing closest to the home is attached to the home.

Preparing a site for your manufactured home is one the most important parts of the homes future longevity and safety. If this is land that you are buying to place the home you must know if it can be placed there, and if so is it in an area that you can get utilities for the home. After finding out if you can place the home at the location you want, and have the utilities that you need, then you need to consider what type of foundation you will be using.

I found out that in each manufactured home, is required to have a whole house fan for venting. I can see how this helps since the home is manufactured and only limited space is available. I now know to look for a whole house fan while inspecting.

Once a manufactured home is placed and anchored. The home needs to have a vapor barrier installed on the earth floor. The crawlspace area needs to have a skirt installed and a minimum of eight vents must be installed for venting.

The front patio cover is installed on a separate foundation support than the main structure. The structure appears to be in overall acceptable condition. Some black sealant is noted in the valley between the manufactures home roof and the front patio cover. This could possibly be due to a previous leak. Further evaluation may be needed.

I read the article titled,No Visible Evidence Language May Be Evidence Against You. The article was brief and provided some valuable information on the importance of wording when writing a report. The article reiterated that proper wording is one of the most important parts of home inspecting to avoid a law suite or protect an inspector the case of a law suite.

The bathroom vent terminates improperly inside the attic. Bathroom vents should terminate completely outside of the building, either through an approved roof or wall vent. An Improperly vented bathroom fan adds excess moisture to the attic creating conditions favorable to wood destroying organisms, mold and mildew growth.

It is common practice in many areas to use building cavities as return-air plenums. Improperly sealed and insulated building cavities used for return air supply is one of today’s leading causes of duct leakage and HVAC system inefficiencies in homes.

One of the most common building cavities used for return ducts is the panned floor joist. This practice is highly discouraged because air leakage is very difficult to prevent.

The preferred practice for return ducts is to use building cavities as duct chases to contain an insulated, air sealed, metal or flex return duct.

This air conditioner unit is setting on the ground instead of on a pad. The wiring is in flexible conduit but the suction and pressure lines are not insulated. In addition the coils need to be cleaned for proper operation.

Several issues may be encountered when placing a mobile home. The first consideration is zoning, make sure the community you plan on placing your home in allows mobile homes, many do not. The second most important is to properly secure the home.

Of equal importance while the property has the proper set-up, drainage, and grading to support and protect the manufactured home, the homeowner should also consider property accessibility for the transport vehicle, and any other equipment required to place the home onto the foundation; which could be from a remotely controlled tracked vehicle, or even a crane.

Learning how to inspect mobile homes since they are present in the Chicago suburb area.

My essay is on the skirting of a manufactured home. Skirting needs to be installed around the base of the home and must be sealed to keep out animals and rodents. As pictured here the A/C piping was put through an oversized hole and has a large opening still exposed. These openings must be sealed.

My essay will be on deck framing. Any deck attached to the structure must be to a ledger board attached to the frame, not over the siding, and must be lag bolted in at each space. The joists must be installed using joist hangers that are installed with proper joist hanger nails.

Mobile home and manufactured homes must have proper ventilation in the crawlspace to prevent moisture issues. An approved vapor barrier should be installed on the ground, along with at least eight vents to adequately promote proper air flow. This picture shows high moisture levels that affected the floor insulation, soil and possibly floor components. (I did not have access to a mobile home, therefore, I had to find a photo online to show my defect. The picture was taken from https://www.bobvila.com/articles/crawl-space-solutions/. I am not trying to plagiarize or take photo credit, I just do not have access to a crawlspace under a mobile home and did not know where to properly find one for this assignment).

These are shims between the pier and the frame of the mobile home. When shim material is used between the top of the pier cap and the bottom of the main frame, the shimming material should not exceed 5 inches vertically. This one appears to be about 10 inches at least. If lumber, it should be at least nominal 2 inches thick. This appears to be smaller pieces.