"How to Inspect Manufactured and Mobile Homes" online course

Research & Writing Assignment:

I read the article on Modular vs. Manufactured homes. Although the words modular and manufactured are commonly considered to be the same they in fact two distinctly different types of homes. The biggest difference is in regards to the foundation. Modular homes are built offsite and set onto a permanent foundation without the intention of ever being moved off that foundation. Manufactured homes are built off site and are brought to the home site location by way of the chassis that is installed to the main frame. They are placed with the possibility of easily being moved at a future time.

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

This photo is of a tie down anchor. The strap attached to the tie down anchor was very loose and appeared to no long be effective in anchoring the home to the ground. I recommended further inspection and repairs by a qualified mobile home moving and setting contractor.

The picture shows a mobile home with an attached garage. This mobile home has an original roof with some useful life on it, exterior siding is in good shape and goes down to the grade. Front stairs has hand rails on both sides properly secure to the structure. Structure looks sound and leveled. Overall condition good.

Aluminum wiring

Aluminum was used for electrical wiring, between 1965 and 1973 due to an increase in copper price. However after two fatalities related to aluminum wiring, it was determined unsafe and more studies were conducted to analyze aluminum features when used as electrical wire.

The outcome showed among other things aluminun:

vibrates more when current passes through it, pose more resistance to electricity and expand and contracts more than copper leading to loose connection, therefore unsafe.

The picture attached would be a perfect example of many things learned involved at the same time.
First of all it shows a mobile house perfectly settle with the skirting installed.
Secondly, it shows that a porch was attached to the house after assembling the mobile house.
At last it shows that the deck attached has railings all around, and it is because is over 30 inches height.

I read the article named “Modular vs. Manufactured Homes” which makes a very important and clear differentiation between both types of houses.
Before reading this article, I would have never guess such differentiation ever existed.
Basically, modular homes are built by pieces in a controlled environment, have stringent standards to follow and its value would never depreciate.
Manufactured homes are cheaper structures, faster to deliver and assemble, less stringent standards to follow and its value will decrease in time.

No anchor system is visible. Manufactured homes should have anchors and tie-downs to keep them in place during high winds. Compared to site-built homes, manufactured homes are relatively lightweight. They have flat sides and ends, and they are built on frames rather than foundations. Further evaluation by a qualified engineer is needed to determine the course of corrective action.

The result of this septic inspection does not guarantee or warranty future performance and expressly excludes inaccessible or unobservable components. PUMPS AND FLOATS CAN FAIL AT ANY TIME. Electrical connections, floats, and pumps should be checked regularly. Have your septic system inspected at least every three years by a qualified inspector. Proper septic system maintenance will help keep your system from failing and will help maintain your investment in your home. Failing septic systems can contaminate the ground water and pollute nearby rivers, lakes, and coastal waters.

Here is an image of an untested sump pump in the basement of a home. Very few Las Vegas homes have basements because of the hardness of the soil and flooding. I’ve never seen a manufactured home with a basement in this area.

I legally purchased a set of bump keys online. Before I had the sentry-lock access key, I was at the mercy of agents to meet me on site to allow access to a home for inspection. The bump key and other methods allowed access when agents overslept or were otherwise running late. A standard line in all reports I give to clients is the advice to re-key all of the home’s locks for safety.

Here we have an area under the manufactured home that is letting in water and moisture. The downspouts are not terminating far enough away from the home and water is coming underneath the crawlspace. Inspector recommends that the downspouts be diverted away from the home and have vapor barrier installed in the crawlspace area.

Read the article about Gutters and Downspouts and the importance of diverting water away from the home. Gutters are designed to collect water from the roof and carry it to the downspouts where it will be carried away from the foundation.

When dealing with manufactured homes there are two types of foundations. Standard and permanent. The main difference between the two being that in a permanent foundation the footings should extend below the frost line, where as a standard foundation they are not required to go below the frost line.

InterNACHI standards of practice require a home inspector to inspect a representative number of outlets. When inspecting a GFCI outlet using a n outlet tester, while handy, is not ideal. You always want to check the test button on the receptacle.

The photo attached is showing the dryer vented into the crawlspace under a manufactured home. Venting the dryer into the crawlspace puts humid/damp air under the home, contributing to possible mold/mildew problems. An appropriate vent pipe extended to the outside of home with an appropriate termination device is required.

In regards to inspecting the support columns on a Standard-Set or Permanent Foundations the support columns must meet these requirements: No column (pier) can exceed 80 inches in height and 25% must not be more than 36 inches high, the support blocks must be perpendicular to the frame and set on a concrete block not less than 256 square inches.

Moisture issues present in the mobile home due to poor drainage, no gutters and no vapor barrier in the crawlspace area. Evaluation of installing a vapor barrier in the crawlspace by a professional was performed, improved grading and gutter installation was conducted and the moisture issues were resolved.

When I inspect windows it is easy to just verify the window condition and operation, but is best to conduct a window inspection using an infrared camera as well. This will help point out air infiltration/ex filtration issues that may exist and give the homeowner more information regarding energy losses with in their home.

Manufactured homes are built and delivered in one or more sections. They are constructed in a controlled environment and are often built to more exact standards than a conveniently built home. These homes are built with lumber that has less than a 19% moisture content.

The term manufactured home was established in 1980’s, formerly these homes were called mobile homes or trailers. In the 1960’s and 70’s mobile homes were meant to move from location to location. Current manufactured home are rarely moved from their first location. Compared to mobile’s home in the 70’s which often left the transportation part of the home installed, current manufactured homes remove all of the parts required to deliver the home to the site for installation.