"How to Inspect Manufactured and Mobile Homes" online course

Research & Writing Assignment:

Mobile homes built after June 15, 1976 must conform to safety standards administered by the U.S. Dept. of Housing & Urban Development (HUD). These standards entail safety, egress for fire, electrical wiring and appliances, gas and oil-fired appliances and even the glass in windows and doors. These rules put in place by HUD ensure an accepted level of comfort and safety to the home occupants.

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

This pier, found in a standard set foundation, was main beam support. It was set on a 16" x 16" poured concrete footing which was not below the frost line. The bottom block had been broken out effecting the structural integrity of the pier.

I read the article titled Manufactured Housing and Standards. I learned about the how to understand warranties as it relates to manufactured housing and requirements of different locations where the home could be set. I also learned the importance of leveling the home in its installation.

This is a picture of an exterior egress door. The door is of acceptable dimensions (minimum 28"x 74") as per HUD Code. It is also equipped with a key operated lock with dead locking latch as well as a key operated deadbolt with a passage latch. However as per HUD requirements upon inspection it was observed that the door safety catch (required on outswinging exterior doors) was in disrepair and did not work.

I read the article on the Advantages of Solar Energy. I had no idea that the earth, even after taking into consideration the weather requirements had so much excess energy reflected back into space (albedo). While it is understandable that homes “off the grid” would utilize solar energy still if a better battery could be built there would be no need of a grid. Storing the power seems to be much more difficult than capturing the power.

This is a picture of an electric water heater I found in a mobile home I did an inspection on. There are multiple issues with this water heater. For one, it is severely curroded and leaking water into the carpet. This creates the potential for mold issues. Water heaters should not be installed on carpet. Obviously, the water heater also needs replacing. There were also no earthquake straps attached to the water heater.

For my writing assignment I chose an article about steel siding. This product is commonly used in my area as the skirt around the crawl space underneath mobile homes. The article points out that there are many advantages to steel panels; they are strong and durable, low maintenance, and retain their color well. One of the bad things about it is that it is very susceptible to corrosion when in contact with sustained moisture. And soil has moisture, especially here in WA State.

This type of cinder block was found beneath a manufactured home in Caddo Mills. The block was stacked two high and laid lengthwise with the opening facing the skirting. The skirting was pushed beyond the exterior wall. These are all deficiencies and were written up as such in my report.

In reading the article on tie-downs for manufactured homes, I was introduced to the different types of anchors and their respective applications. I had no idea what to expect in reality. It was emphasized that these devices are important, regulated heavily in zones 2 & 3 for good reason. I also leart that, like many other inspected components, it is necessary to check with local authorities on general practices. I prefer standards with little to no wiggle room, but that is hardly the case.

Skirting Crawl Access:

It was interesting to learn the fastening requirements of an external access door. Requirements of 18in X 24in with 30in of clear access are standard for crawl access. The interesting requirements are: requirement of no tools, no more than 5 pounds of force, nor the operation of more than four devices to open and easily identifiable. I feel that these further requirements can make for a less asthetically pleasing exterior and possible security issue if you cant lock the access.

Modular vs. Manufactured Homes:
Manufactured Homes and Modular Homes are sometimes thought of as the same, but are actually quite different. Modular refers to home built in sections and assembled on-site. While manufactured homes are built on a permanent frame, towed to the site and set either on a poured or pier foundation.

Every 120-volt single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle outlets, including receptacles in light fixtures, installed outdoors, in compartments accessible from the outdoors, in bathrooms, and within 6 feet of a kitchen sink are required to have ground-fault circuit protection. Branch circuits can be protected by a ground-fault circuit interrupter (GFCI).

Anti-scald valves, are tempering valves and mixing valves that mix cold water with outgoing hot water so that the hot water that leaves a fixture is not hot enough to scald a person. Scalds account for 20% of all burns.

As of 1976 manufactured homes are constructed according to a code administered by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD code). The HUD code, unlike conventional building codes, requires manufactured homes to be constructed on a permanent chassis. This code is nation wide.

If you are having your manufactred home installed on your own land, you are responsible for site preparation. These are some guidelines that must be followed in preparing the site:
The location must be accessible by the truck transporting your home.
The location must be as level as possible.
The location area must be cleared of trees, rocks, and any other surface debris.
The soil must be graded and sloped for water runoff.
The soil must be compacted so that the foundation will not sink or shift on loose earth-fill.

A common deficiency found in mobile homes is damage to the bottom board. This protective barrier protects the floor insulation and other components from moisture, rodents and insects. It is important to note all damaged areas and recommend proper repairs be made by a qualified professional using the proper repair materials.

There are many inspection items that pertain to a manufactured homes tie downs, but there are a few that the home owner can keep an eye on regularly for safety and maintenance concerns. Monitoring strap tension and looking out for corrosion on the straps and anchoring system is an important part of the owners regular maintenance routine.

After reading “Tie-Downs for Manufactured Homes”, I was able to identify the two types of tie-downs and the variety of components used. It is extremely important that these tie-downs are tight fitting with no corrosion or kinking in the straps. This ensures better protection against wind uplift and damage.

The manufactured home foundation pictured is properly supported and the tie downs are proper. There is some rusting on the metal main frame. The vapor barrier is ripped/torn and the insulation is falling. This is deficient since it is part of the thermal envelope of the home which is damaged.

Taking this course showed me how important this course is because if not inspected correctly. Defects can be hazard to the homeowners,making sure the home is ventilated, electrical circuits/branch be done right. Making sure the symbols are present and etc.