"How to Inspect Manufactured and Mobile Homes" online course

Research & Writing Assignment:

Modular homes are built to the same standards as regular homes but can be sturdier in general due to additional construction materials that are needed for transporting them. Most lenders consider modular homes to be the same as a standard home for loan purposes.

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

Pier supports located in crawlspace meet minimum standard requirements. 8x8x16 masonry block with solid cap resting on poured concrete foundation. Piers are perpendicular to framing and exceed 256 square inches. No issue with piers were found at time of inspection.

Termites can enter a dwelling through a crack as small as the width of a fingernail. It is important to keep cellulose debris and moisture away from foundation to prevent unwanted entrance. Termites inspections should be completed by licensed pest control contractor.

Mobile or manufactured homes has played different roles in my career path and life. At a young age I worked for a company that built them. A friend of mine owns a trucking company that delivers them (I have assisted in the past) I still have my real estate license and I have sold a few. Currently as a home inspector I work for an engineering company as a sub contractor to do foundation certifications (When they sell) and not to forget my first property purchase was a manufactured home!

One of the biggest confusions of home buyers and real estate agents is the difference between a manufactured and modular home. As a home inspector I advise to peak in the crawl space, If a steel black intergraded frame is present it is most likely a manufactured home opposed to a wood floor system present.

This is a home that was manufactured in 1972 and is currently undergoing a levelling renovation that was caused due to the sunroom being improperly attached directly to the side of the home. To properly repair this major defect, the sunroom has been detached from the home and is now being self-supported by newly installed beams and posts. The home has also been relevelled and the new skirting is partiallly installed.

Air Sampling for Mold Inspections…
Air sampling for the presence of mould spores is a cheap and effective way to verify the existance and types of mold spores within a dwelling unit compared to the types and quantity of exterior mold spores. The mold spores are collected by an approved air pump and collected on cassettes. These cassettes are then shipped of to a mold certified lab to be analysed by a certified lab technician. Since mould is normally an exterior fungi, the best scenario is for the type and quantity of the interior mould spores to be the same or lower than the exterior mould spore growth. The presence of elevated and/or different interior mold spores is a very good indication that there is mold growth inside the home.

This is a picture of a mobile home that I recently inspected. This mobile homes foundation was constructed of cement blocks. It also had an additional slab foundation for the front sunroom. This particular mobile home had an issue with storm water running under the home causing some movement to the foundation.

This article was on carbon monoxide poisoning and detection. This article gave information on how carbon monoxide poisoning affects the body. It also gave examples of different sources that can give off carbon monoxide and practical ways to detect and prevent carbon monoxide.

Steel jack piers are present resting of poured in place concrete runners. Tie down anchoring straps are equally spaced and 6mil black vapor barrier is placed throughout the crawlspace. 8" cmu skirting wall encloses the crawlspace with venting. All of these items make this a permanent foundation.

Vapor barrier and venting is missing under the manufactured home crawlspace foundation. The soil under the floor appears to be saturated. Moisture may wick up into porous materials causing damage. Further evaluation and repairs is recommended by a qualified person.

Homeowners, not professional carpenters, usually install attic pull-down ladders. Evidence of this distinction can be observed in consistently shoddy and dangerous work that rarely meets safety standards. Some of the more common defective conditions observed by inspectors include:

cut bottom cord of structural truss. Often, homeowners will cut through a structural member in the field while installing a pull-down ladder, unknowingly weakening the structure. Structural members should not be modified in the field without an engineers approval;fastened with improper nails or screws. Homeowners often use drywall or deck screws rather than the standard 16d penny nails or x 3 lag screws. Nails and screws that are intended for other purposes may have reduced shear strength and they may not support pull-down ladders;

The steps on rear deck are separating from the upper support and should not be walked on. The steps should be attached with braces and supports but are only currently toenailed in. I recommend that a contractor be consulted for repair or replacement.

All manufactured homes should be provided with an access to the underfloor area through either the skirting or foundation or ground level access. Underfloor access should the skirting should have a minimum clear opening of 18" high by 24" wide. Require no tools and no more than 5 lbs of force and not the operation of more than 4 devices to open. It should be easily identifiable and have a minimum 30" clear space directly in front and outside the perimeter of the home of each access panel or door.
Ground level installations should be provided with an access well, which should conform to the following requirements: the access well should have a minimum inside dimension of 24" high by 35" wide, and extend at least 24" from the perimeter of the home. The access well should have a minimum clear opening of 18" high by 24" wide to the underside of the home. The access well should have a lightweight, removable and watertight cover made to resist the entrance of animals and water. The cover should be designed and installed so that it cannot be locked. The cover should be designed and installed so that it can be easily opened without using any tools.

I’ve often thought about some type of a mobile home park empire on paper in a perfect world to increase income and establish a plan to create additional income for future family generations to follow long after I move on. Here is my thought process and feel free to expand and use my formula to create your own mobile home empire. Like anything else, you get out of your investment what you put into it. In terms of maintenance, roof issues, siding issues, leveling issues, HVAC issues and more often than not tenant issues. Its like any rental property scenario where most tenants don’t take care of their mobile homes. If you can remain disciplined and have the time to keep up and stay on top of the units and the maintenance issues associated you will stay ahead of the curve. Winters up in my area (western NY) can be brutal so keep the winter months in mind and at the forefront. Frozen sewer pipes and water pipes are always an issue. You have to be sure you winterize all the exposed pipes before winter sets in. I have seen a few fires with electrical pipe wrap products. Another potential issue would be trash around mobile home. Tenants don’t seem to care about how much clutter is dispersed around their home, and they don’t pick up after themselves usually. Unregistered cars can become an issue as well so make sure you have established rules and policies that you can refer to your tenants / owners. So to avoid your knowing your local code official on a daily basis due to complaints, make sure you have the ability to maintain most if not all of these potential issues and develop a maintenance plan that you can follow to stay on top of your investment.

On a positive note, and according to my “simple math” you can purchase good “used” mobile homes, rehab them and then sell them through an owner finance plan that you create. I see this as a much better way to go then buying them and owning them yourself. In theory, you get a monthly check on the loan and lot rent. If you have the capital available and can purchase a country house with at least 3 acres and then have installed mobile home pads and extend the utilities and rent out the lots with the house. Again, in theory, three mobile homes and a house on three acres. Lot rent at $275 times 3 = $825 add the house rent at $1,200 = $2,025 monthly. Then if you purchase 3 mobile homes under $10,000. Rehab them for under $5,000 and sell them at $20,000 with $5,000 down at 6% amortized at 25 years gives you about $166 per month. Add that to the lot rent $166 + $275 = $441 x 3 = $1,323 plus the house rent $1,200 = $2,523 per month x 12 months = $30,276 yearly. Then each year you raise the lot rent by $10.00 monthly if the market allows. If you are good with money and are able to repeat this 10 times over the next 10 years and you become well off for the rest of your life.

Again, if you’re willing to work hard, and remain vigilant and have the capital available and a master plan to develop your land including utilities and lot layout, you too can achieve the American dream through your very own mobile home park.

Tie-downs help prevent wind uplift of manufactured homes. There are a number of different types of tie-down anchors which are appropriate for different soil and rock types. Straps should be checked to ensure they are not loose, rusted, corroded or damaged.

https://www.nachi.org/manufactured-home-tie-downs.htm

Concrete masonry unit block pier foundation supports should rest on a concrete footing, and if they are over 36 inches in height should be interlocking when stacked upon one another. Blocks installed after the original foundation has been laid or pre-existing piers with added shims or half blocks are indicative of foundation settlement or inappropriate or inadequate foundation pier design.

On my first mentored inspection I observed a double wide manufactured home on a sealed crawlspace with lots of surface water.The sump pump was running and dumping the water outside the crawl but running back in through numerous cracks in the foundation,recirculating the water.The crawl space was not accessible due to the water and was noted on the report as well as the pump defect.It was also noted that there was no ventilation in the crawl and some of the flooring seemed spongy.Further evaluation was recommended.

Sump Pump Operation and Inspection Guide,while inspecting this manufactured home I found that the sump pump discharge was dumping right outside the crawlspace opening and running back into the crawlspace.I also found that the pump was just sitting on the sand floor of the crawl where it could possibly suck sand up into the pump causing damage to the impeller.It was recommended that the discharge be located at least 20 feet away from the house and that the pump be set on a solid base.

Manufactured/mobile homes come in a variety of sizes and styles of construction. Many times a manufactured home, such as in this photo, are typical single-wide lower cost units that can be transported easily. Other homes can have a permanent foundation with basements and second story living spaces. Both have a main frame and are built off-site in a factory location. Both share the same concerns for inspection purposes.