How to Inspect Private Drinking Water Wells

This picture is of a small private well with the casing cap removed. He you can see clearly that the length of the casing above ground does not meet the required 1 foot clearance. Furthermore the soil and grade are level which does not help to mitigate surface water contamination. The solution here is to extend the pipe above 1 foot and add a grade which allows water to flow away from the pipe.

My essay will be based on the following graphic: https://www.nachi.org/gallery/?level=picture&id=1896
Well water needs to have safe distances from areas which will introduce contamination such as a leach field or absorption field. A few home inspector training books state that the leach field be at least 75 feet but this curriculum states 50. In any case it may be different depending on local government policies. Additionally, it is important to be mindful of the well testing such as a draw down test. Do not draw down the water into the leach field…doing so will temporarily prevent the function of the leach field from working as intended.

I studied the picture of the air gap between the hose and bucket/drain. The purpose of the air gap is when installed over an open drain, like for a water softener, if the water backs up it will not enter the domestic water system.

The picture I posted is of my 40’ well. The well is in my mechanical room in my garage. In the well casing is a 1" plastic pipe that is hooked to the pump. The casing just protects the pipe. I have a foot valve and a check valve to prevent backflow. The casing has a rubber cap on it to prevent dust and debris from entering.

Wells are private water systems and usually found on rural and larger properties. Through the years changes have been made by cities and municipalities as to when and where you can have one installed. It is recommended for an inspector to have a go to well installation company for unusual inspections and situations that you may need technical information for your clients.

Wells are private water systems and usually found on rural and larger properties. Through the years changes have been made by cities and municipalities as to when and where you can have one installed. It is recommended for an inspector to have a go to well installation company for unusual inspections and situations that you may need technical information for your clients.

Water well systems are essential for homeowners that have no access to a municipal water source.These systems provide potable water and must be checked periodically for contaminates and water quality issues. There are several state and local agencies which provide services that check water for different bacteria and organisms.

Inspecting and evaluating a gas fired furnace is a critical part of the HVAC system regarding use and safety. If the unit is not properly vented, and the heat exchanger is cracked, the system can produce deadly fumes and possibly kill you.

The well looks as if it were recently serviced and tagged. The area surrounding the well could be graded more to prevent standing water around the well. The well is the correct height above the ground. Before purchasing I would have a well test done.

It is important to verify water quality for you and your family especially people with weakened immune systems and children. The EPA has set standards for 80 contaminants that could pose a risk to your health. Citizens should take an active role in protecting the water supply.

As an experienced home inspector and well owner this course has been very helpful and informative. It has been interesting and informative learning more in-depth information on wells and well system components. It’s surprising to find out how little I actually knew about the overall systems. For example, wellhead must extend a minimum of 12 inches above ground and grading should slope away from the wellhead. After taking this in-depth course I feel that I can be a better inspector and keep my family safe.

While I still have much to learn I found this diagram of the well system pressure tank helpful. It is interesting to have a visual perspective of the pressure tank and the various components that make up the well system. Viewing this diagram will make it easier for me to understand my well water system and explain similar systems to clients.

I find it interesting that the EPA does not regulate private well water or require private well water to meet certain requirements. When a home owner sells a house with a private well all the more reason for having that water well regulated so next owners are not walking into a problem. It would be easy for EPA to include Private wells into the laws that already have been established.

The article I have picked can be found at https://www.nachi.org/waterquality.htm. For me this article goes into water quality but other than saying that EPA recommends that private wells be inspected yearly it does not discuss private wells from a perspective of water quality. Are we saying that we do not care what happens to people who use Private Wells? EPA needs to include Private Wells into requirements for Water Quality.

The above image was captured from a recent home inspection that was completed. The faucet in the master bathroom was discharging a black microbial type substance into the tub. This could be from the tub being unused for a long period of time. I advised home owner to contact a licensed plumber if the problem continues after multiple uses.

I picked the “Water Stoves” article basically because I had never heard of one. I found it interesting that while it can (and will) provide heat for the house, it also promotes pollution due to the fact the it will produce a cool fire which is usually more smokey.

Well pressure switches are an easily maintained item which I point out to clients. Many times the contacts will just need cleankng when they are malfunctioning. I instruct them to turn off the power at the circuit breaker anytime they are doing anything with the switch.

I read the consumer article on water quality. Anytime a client has a well, I inform them of minimum clearance distances from potential contaminants. Many people take clean water for granted and are unaware of how easily wells can be contaminated.

When performing a well inspection, I have learned that many things can go wrong with a system. In my photo, the casing, being made of steel, has rusted to the point of a large hole in the side. There is no graded earth to keep water directed away from the casing, thus exposing it tremendous amounts of surface water and snow during periods of precipitation, and allowing contaminants right into the well and possibly the water table. Dirt should have been applied around the casing, sloped away. Now, because of neglect and possibly age, the casing needs to be replaced by a qualified professional.

I chose to read the article “Advantages of Solar Energy” simply because I have a small solar system of my own. I have learned the vast amount of energy that is reflected back to space, called the albedo, is beyond any number that I imagined. I also learned that as many as 180,000 homes are off the grid in this country, with many more likely going unreported. Solar energy would put an end to the fossil fuel industry for the most part…if it weren’t for those pesky lobbying dollars of big oil.